During my tenure on Surrey City Council over the past 22 years, I have witnessed our city embrace many changes as it establishes itself as one of the best places to find a home, begin an education, nurture a family and establish a business.
When I moved to the city 35 years ago with my husband, Michael, to raise our two sons, we were attracted to the abundance of green space. Nearly four decades later, we are still dedicated environmentalists who treasure the opportunity to retreat to the splendid pockets of nature that are so prevalent amongst the impressive urban development within our city. As a strong supporter of Surrey's new Sustainability Charter, I believe that balancing investment and job creation in our community while preserving farmland is the foundation for sustainable cities. I have been a strong supporter of environmental protection initiatives; the City of Surrey's purchase of 694 acres of park land (including Surrey Bend Nature Reserve and Kwomais Point Park), the designation of Blackie Spit as a nature park, the completion of an Environmental Assessment Study, and funding for salmon habitat restoration projects.
Looking back to our city's roots as a safe, accessible and affordable home for people from all walks of life, I continue to champion the need for more social service infrastructure in Surrey through my position on Council and as a Director of Metro Vancouver. I take great pride in my reputation as a fiscally responsible and accountable Councillor with a heart. My contribution to the development of the Action Plan for the Social Well Being of Surrey Residents and the establishment of the Surrey Homelessness and Housing Society & Foundation (the first foundation of its kind in British Columbia), are testament to my passion and relentless drive to create a strong and caring city.
As a lifelong proponent of the arts, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to create new initiatives such as Surrey's Public Art Policy and Cultural Plan which have resulted in the installation of world-class art throughout our community. Over 50 impressive works of public art now blanket the city. I continually strive to expand art and cultural appreciation in our residents' everyday experience as the Council Liaison to the Public Arts Advisory Committee, a member of the Mayor's Advisory Committee on Culture, and the Chair of the Metro Vancouver Cultural Committee.
Surrey is a city that people can be proud to live in, a city with a strong sense of community connection, and I'm extremely honored to be part of a City Council effecting positive change for each of its residents.
- Social Policy Committee (Chair)
- Surrey Homelessness and Housing Society (President)
- Culture Development Advisory Committee (Chair)
- Public Art Advisory Committee (Chair)
- Finance Committee
- Police Committee
- Parcel Tax Roll Review Panel
- Surrey Airspace Task Force
- Metro Vancouver Board of Directors
- Metro Vancouver Chair of the Regional Culture Committee
- Metro Vancouver Housing Committee
- Metro Vancouver Member of the Housing Corporation
- Metro Vancouver Climate Action Committee
- Municipal Finance Authority (Representative)
- Ongoing leadership on homelessness issues through proactive initiatives to eradicate homelessness and provide increased affordable housing;
- Working with the Surrey Airspace Task Force to deal with issues affecting aircraft traffic in residential areas;
- Supporting projects such as “Welcoming & Inclusive Communities” which empower Surrey residents from all nationalities and backgrounds;
- Working to keep our communities safer through good design and community policing;
- Encouraging the creation of new public art projects within the City and developing a regional Arts and Culture web calendar: www.maxguide.org
- Spearheaded the drive to create an Action Plan for the Social Wellbeing of Surrey residents;
- Developed a Homelessness and Housing Plan for Surrey;
- Founded the Surrey Homelessness and Housing Society and Foundation (2008), with a $9 million contribution from the City;
- Instigated the creation of Surrey's Public Art Policy and Cultural Plan;
- Received the Surrey Leader's "Community Builder" Award in 2004.
Office Phone: (604) 591-4625
To view Council Financial Statements please click here.