Skip navigation

Residential Building

A single-family residential home in Surrey.

See the A to Z Residential Building Permits to learn when you need a permit, how to apply for a permit and about the different permit fees you can expect along the way.

Browse the rest of the section to find information on all your building, electrical and plumbing needs as well as trees and landscaping requirements.

Illegal Construction

To report illegal construction in your neighbourhood call 604-591-4231 or email . You may also make a complaint in person at the Building Department front counter.

For complaints regarding multiple secondary suites in a home you can make a complaint online or contact Bylaw and Licensing Services at 604-591-4370.

Access Information about your Property 

Nearly all residential property and building information you would access at Surrey City Hall is available online. Get your property and building information now.

Online tools give you instant access to

  • zoning,
  • maximum house sizes,
  • utility connections,
  • land use, and
  • assessment value.

Building Plan Copies

The City may have floor plans on file for your home. To see if plans are available, please visit the Building Department's front counter staff.

Plans are printed for a fee which is payable by debit, credit or cheque. If you are an agent acting on behalf of the owner, you will need to present the front counter staff with an Owner Authorization Form signed by both yourself and the property's registered owner(s).

Building a House with a Basement

To build a basement home, your designer or contractor must determine whether the service connections are deep enough and have adequate capacity to allow basement construction. Basements must have a gravity storm service connection.

Building a House with a Secondary Suite

The Zoning By-law permits one secondary suite per property, under certain conditions. Get more information about building or installing a secondary suite to ensure you have a legal suite.

Contact the building division Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm on the Building Information Line  by phone at 604-591-4366 or fax 604-591-2680.

Planning & Development Department
Building Division, Residential Section
13450 104 Avenue
Surrey, BC V3T 1V8

A Surrey Engineering drawing.

Property & Building Information

Look up a property's zoning, maximum house sizes, survey certificates online, and save a visit to City Hall.

House frame  surrounded by grassy area.

Build a House in Surrey

Find all the information you need to know on building a Single Family Dwelling in Surrey.

Residential Building Permits

Find out about obtaining permits for residential building, including additions, renovations, demolition and pool permits.

Building Inspector with a clipboard in front of a home.

Building Inspections

Book building inspections, find the daily inspection schedule, view residential inspection requirements, and find out your inspection area.

Single Family Home

Building a Secondary Suite

Find out what you need to know about building, installing, and keeping a secondary suite in your home.

Row of residential houses in Surrey.

Building Records Search

Request a building records search online or in person and learn the fees for the research services.