Surrey Electrical & Fire Safety Initiative
The Surrey Electrical and Fire Safety Initiative (EFSI) is one of the City of Surrey's key responses to eradicating illegal marijuana grow operations in Surrey. The EFSI is led by the Surrey Fire Department and includes a team of City staff representatives.
The EFSI assisted greatly in the 81% decrease in illegal marijuana grow operations in Surrey from 2004 to 2008. The EFSI uses provincial legislation (Bill 25) to inspect properties for potential fire and safety hazards. This has led to the discovery and elimination of hundreds of illegal grow operations in Surrey.
The EFSI recognizes that illegal grow operations are a significant threat to the building's owners and to all neighbouring buildings and their tenants. A home with a grow operation is 24 times more likely to catch fire than a typical home.
Surrey's response to marijuana grow operations
- City Approved Remediation Professionals
- View the "Taking Action on Grow Ops" brochure.
- Responding to Marijuana Grow Operations: A Community Handbook
- Community Response to Marijuana Grow Operations: A Guide Towards Promising Practices
- Police Statistics on Marijuana Drug Files in Surrey, the Lower Mainland, and the Rest of British Columbia 2004-2008: A Comparative Analysis