Skip navigation

Resources for Families

Education & Resource Centre

We understand that making final arrangements is not a common event for families. The City of Surrey has established an education and resource centre for end of life information, located at 6348 - 168th Street, to provide a place to get answers and/or be guided in the right direction in a comfortable environment.

You are invited to visit our education and resource centre Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.

Cemetery Services Resource and Administration Facility


Cemeteries in Surrey

Monument Companies in the BC Lower Mainland

Funeral Homes in the BC Lower Mainland



BC Bereavement Helpline

The BC Bereavement Helpline is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to the health and wholesome recovery of individuals experiencing grief. They provide the public, and particularly the bereaved, with information on how to seek help for themselves or individuals known to them who are in need of assistance through their grief, including a helpline for referral and support, community network of support and information, brochure of available support in BC, and a quarterly newsletter.

P 604-738-9950
TF 877-779-2223
Monday to Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

BC Children's Hospital Grief and Loss

BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre Library

Listing of BC Hospice Palliative Care Members select 'Our Members'


City of Surrey Cemeteries – Locate A Loved One

This page is scheduled for update and improvement. Currently, you will be able to view alphabetical listings, by SURNAME, of those interred in the cemeteries owned and operated by the City of Surrey. These records have been transcribed from our official records. If mistakes or missing information is noted we would appreciate your help in correcting this data. Please contact us or phone 604-598-5770. We welcome any additional information about your loved one. Our new database has the capability of adding photos, biographies, or obituaries, etc. and we would be honoured to add this information for future generations.

Surrey Public Library – Genealogy

British Columbia Genealogical Society

BC Cemetery Finding Aid (Find A Grave)

BC Archives - A record of the deaths occurring in British Columbia.

New Westminster Heritage Website

Provides links to many genealogy websites and features a database of the records of Bowell Funeral Home (one of the first in BC), and currently includes the years between 1932 and 1956. The New Westminster Public Library has the Bowell records in print as well, up to 1960.


Ministry of Social Development (866) 866-0800

A supplement may be provided to pay necessary services and costs of any person who dies in BC if the family unit or the estate of the deceased person has no immediate resources to meet these costs. There is no requirement that the deceased person, or the person’s family, must be income assistance recipients to qualify for the supplement. Costs are to be recovered whenever possible. This supplement is available under the Employment and Assistance Regulation.

When a death occurs, a legal representative for the deceased must be determined. Section 5 of the Cemetery, Interment and Funeral Services Act explains the guidelines for establishing legal representatives. Legal representation is most often a relative, but in cases where there are no relatives or they are unable to assume this responsibility, the ministry may make arrangements for services and payment to the funeral home. Once the legal representative has determined that there are no resources for funeral expenses through the deceased’s estate or family unit, they may apply to the ministry for assistance.

To establish eligibility, the Ministry requires:

  • Name and address of the deceased
  • Name of the next of kin
  • A statement of the deceased’s income and assets
  • A request to the ministry to cover funeral costs

A ministry supplement paid to assist with funeral costs is a debt due to the government and may be recovered from the deceased’s estate.

Making Arrangements

If ministry assistance has been requested, funeral arrangements can be made as soon as eligibility has been established. Costs covered by the ministry are based on a set rate and include the Funeral Provider’s Service Fee, casket or urn, and cemetery or crematorium fees. Additional items and services to honour the deceased and to pay respect to the individual’s personal, cultural and religious beliefs may be purchased by families at their own expense.

For more information contact the Ministry of Social Development by calling: 1-866-866-0800 or your local funeral home.

Public Guardian & Trustee of BCThe Public Trustee of BC is a division of the Ministry of Attorney General for the Province of BC. The Public Trustee has a legal responsibility to protect the rights of mentally incapable persons, minors, and the estates of missing persons and deceased persons where there is no named executor, or where there is no one willing or able to act as executor. The Public Trustee’s Estate Administration Division secures assets, settles debts and claims against the estate, and then identifies and locates the estate’s heirs and beneficiaries.

#700 - 808 West Hastings Street Vancouver BC V6C 3L3
T (604) 660-4444
F 604-660-0374


WorkSafeBC (formerly the Workers' Compensation Board) will provide a funeral allowance following a death arising out of employment. Other survivor benefits may also be available. Contact WorkSafeBC for more information.

WorkSafeBC, Claims Adjudicator
Sensitive Claims Section, Compensation Services Division
6951 Westminster Hwy. Richmond BC V7C 1C6
T 604-273-2266
F 604-279-7408
TF 800-661-2112 within BC
A guide for families coping with a work related death or terminal illness
WorkSafeBC Permanent Disability & Death Benefits

Crime Victim Assistance Program

The Crime Victim Assistance Program is a program administered by the Victim Services Division of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. The program, which came into force June 30, 2002, replaces the Criminal Injury Compensation Program previously operated by the Workers’ Compensation Board. The program is governed by the Crime Victim Assistance Act and the Regulations. Under the Act, victims injured as a result of certain crimes, immediate family members of an injured or deceased victim and some witnesses may be eligible for financial assistance or benefits. The Criminal Injury Compensation Act of B.C. provides compensation, within certain limitations, for personal injury or death resulting from a crime within the province. If you are an immediate family member of a person who was killed due to a crime, you may be entitled to compensation which will include funeral and burial or cremation expenses. You may also be entitled if you were injured while helping a law enforcement officer or while trying to prevent a crime from occurring. In order to apply for compensation there is no need for the offender to have been caught, but there must be a report to the police. You must apply for compensation within one year of injury or death. These services include a toll-free, province-wide telephone service at 1-800-563-0808. See the Victims Services website for more information and application forms.

Victim Services
302 – 815 Hornby Street Vancouver, BC V6Z 2E6
(604) 660-5199

Insurance Corporation of BC

Motor Vehicle Accident (800) 663-3051

Description of Benefits

The Last Post Fund / Veteran Affairs Canada

Effective March 16, 1998, the BC Branch of the Last Post Fund has assumed responsibilities from Veterans Affairs Canada to action all funerals and burials for Veterans.  The grant is means tested and estate and spousal assets must be declared on the grant form. In some cases, depending on the assets declared, a partial grant may be awarded.

Economic Action Plan 2013 increased the amount Last Post Fund is able to reimburse a family towards funeral, cremation and burial expenses, and Economic Action Plan 2014 opened the military service criteria to include all Veterans of the Canadian Forces, and qualified Allied Veterans.

The surviving spouse or other responsible person should contact the Last Post Fund by calling  toll-free 1-800-465-7113  or visit their website:

Last Post Fund / Fonds du Souvenir
401 – 505 Rene-Levesque Ouest
Montreal, QC     H2Z 1Y7
TEL: 1-800-465-7113

Department of National Defence
Description of Benefits through Department of National Defence


CPP – Government of Canada Pension Plan Information & BenefitsHuman Resources Development Canada provides for survivor benefits through the Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security.

Canada Pension Plan survivor benefits are paid to a deceased contributor’s estate, surviving spouse or common-law partner and dependent children. There are three types of benefits.

  • The death benefit is a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased Canada Pension Plan contributor;
  • The survivor’s pension is a monthly pension paid to the surviving spouse or common-law partner of a deceased contributor;
  • The children’s benefit is a monthly benefit for dependent children of a deceased contributor

You must complete an application. Application kits are available from Human Resources Development Canada and from many funeral homes. The kit contains the information and instructions as well as a list of documents you will need to apply. You may ask for a kit or assistance from Human Resources Development Canada by calling free of charge at 1-800-277-9914. If you have a hearing or speech impairment and you use a TDD/TTY device please call 1-800-255-4786.

Description of CPP benefits


BC Funeral Association

If you have a complaint or concern with a cemetery operator or funeral provider, the suggested first step of action is to try and resolve the concern directly with the provider. In the event the concern cannot be resolved in this manner, you may wish to contact the following provincial association:

Suite 211 – 2187 Oak Bay Avenue, Victoria BC V8R 1G1
P 250-592-3213
TF 800-665-3899

If the concern is still not resolved, put it in writing and send it to Consumer Protection BC, who will investigate the issue for you. Consumer Protection BC is the Authority responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act and the Cremation Interment and Funeral Services Act provincial legislation. All cemetery operators and funeral providers are required to be registered with Consumer Protection BC and are required to operate according to the provincial legislation.

Consumer Protection BC

PO Box 9244, Victoria BC V8W 9J2
P 604-320-1667
F 250-920-7181
TF 888-564-9963

Cremation Interment and Funeral Services Act

Cremation Interment and Funeral Services Regulation

 Contact information

City of Surrey Cemeteries - Administration Office
6348 - 168th Street,  Surrey, BC V3S 3Y1
Phone:    (604) 598-5770
Fax:        (604) 598-5880











Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Cemetery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Cemetery Standards of Care

Cemetery Standards of Care and Bylaw Information and Links

Locate a Loved One

View a list of interments in City of Surrey Cemeteries.