We pick up garbage carts from single-family households every other week.
On October 1, 2012, your garbage pickup changed as part of Surrey's new ReThink waste collection program (Website. New window.).
Your garbage cart is based on recommended waste cart sizes.
Put waste that can't go in your organics cart or recyclables cart into your garbage cart. For example, put diapers, cloth and textile materials, or any product that can't be reused or recycled in your garbage cart.
Your garbage cart is now picked up every other week, including statutory holidays except for Christmas and New Year's, by BFI Canada. See your pickup dates in the collection calendar, or get alerts to your mobile device with the my-waste app (Website. New window.).
Learn about getting rid of your old waste containers, to see when we'll be by to pick up your old metal or plastic residential waste containers.
Report a problem with the waste cart collection program, like a missed pickup, or issue with your schedule, cart delivery or exchange. Or, reach us on the Waste Collection Hotline at 604-590-7289.
Items that can't go into your garbage cart
Not much goes into your garbage cart. Only put in items that can't be placed in your organics or recyclables cart.
Choose another waste disposal option, or look at recycling the following garbage items. We currently don't pick up these items.
Items marked with a * are currently banned for pickup across Metro Vancouver, not just in Surrey.
See Metro Vancouver's tips for what to do with your pet waste and other problematic materials (New window.) for other options.
- Animal (pet) waste or animal bodies.
- Auto parts, tires, batteries
- Concrete pieces
- Hazardous & Biomedical Waste
- Lumber, demolition or home renovation materials
- Paint, petroleum and oil products*
- Product Stewardship Items*
- Propane tanks
- Recyclables in Recycling Program*
- Soil, rocks or sod
- Yard Waste Materials*
How to set out your garbage cart
- Put out your carts at your designated collection spot by 7:30am on collection day, or no earlier than 1 day before. To find out your collection day, see the collection schedule.
- Place your cart so the arrow on the lid points towards the centre of the lane or street (the handle will be facing your property).
- Place your cart so there's at least 1 metre (3 feet) of space on all sides and 3 metres (10 feet) of clearance above. Don't park vehicles within 1.5 metres of your cart.
- Make sure to remove or cut back any hedges or branches to provide clearance for our collection crews.
- After your cart has been emptied, remember to remove it off the lane or street and back to your property.
Pickup times vary from week to week. Also be aware of possible delays on statutory holidays - double check your collection schedule or calendar for dates.
We'll collect additional cans or garbage bags only if they feature an Extra Garbage Sticker. Purchase Extra Garbage Stickers at $2.75 each sticker, in strips of 5, at any of our City Facilities. But, if it's determined your household is consistently using your old garbage can due to limited capacity in your cart, we'll automatically upsize your cart.
If you've had an orange sticker placed either on your garbage cart, you may have
- incorrectly prepared your garbage,
- exceeded your weekly limit, or
- put unacceptable items out at your curbside.
See the circled area to learn the specific reason your garbage cart wasn't emptied. To have the cart picked up, fix the problem according to the orange sticker, and put it out before your next garbage collection day.
BFI Canada (Website. New window.) picks up your garbage materials at your curbside, and takes them to the Surrey Transfer Station. Your garbage is collected with new, state-of-the-art automated Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) trucks, which emit 23% less carbon emissions and 90% less air particulates, compared to diesel trucks.
At the Transfer Station, garbage is stored on a temporary basis and is screened for hazardous wastes and recyclable materials.
The garbage waste is then loaded into large trucks and hauled to the Cache Creek or Vancouver Landfill or the Burnaby Waste-to-Energy Facility.
See your Surrey neighbourhood's other waste collection services, including recycling and organics waste pickup.