We pick up recycling at curbside for single-family households.
See multi-family recycling collection information if you live in an apartment or multi-unit building.
On October 1, 2012, your recyclables pickup changed as part of Surrey's new ReThink Waste collection program (Website. New window.).
Your recyclables cart is based on recommended waste cart sizes.
Your recyclables cart is now picked up every other week, by BFI Canada.
Your recyclables cart is now picked up on statutory holidays, except for Christmas and New Year's.
Learn about getting rid of your old waste containers, to see when we'll be by to pick up your old metal or plastic residential waste containers.
Report a problem with the waste cart collection program, like a missed pickup, or issue with your schedule, cart delivery or exchange. Or, reach us on the Waste Collection Hotline at 604-590-7289.
Items that go in your recyclables cart
Flatten whatever you can before putting containers into your recyclables cart. Just take off the cap, step on it, and put the cap back on.
These items can go in your recyclables cart:
- Plastic containers #1, #2, #4, #5
- Mixed paper products
- Office paper
- Paper egg trays
- Mixed containers
- Glass bottles and jars
- Household containers
- Aluminum food and beverage containers
- Tetra pak juice boxes
- Milk cartons
- Metal/tin cans
Find the detailed list of recyclable items, and find out how to prepare items for your waste cart.
Items that can't go in your recyclables cart
See alternate disposal sites and programs to learn what to do with items that can't go in your recyclables cart. For example, reuse your plastic bags or return them to designated drop-off locations (Website. New window.).
These items can't go in your recyclables cart:
- Light bulbs
- Plastic containers #3, #6, #7
- Aerosol cans/paint
- Window glass
- Mirror glass
- Drinking glasses or ceramics
- Waxed or foil-coated paper
- Styrofoam containers and packaging
- Contaminated paper or cardboard
- Plastic bags
How to set out your recyclables cart
- Put out your recyclables cart at your collection spot by 7:30am on collection day, or no earlier than 1 day before. Find your collection day in the collection schedule.
- Place your cart so the arrow on the lid points towards the centre of the lane or street (the handle will be facing your property).
- Place your cart so that there is at least 1 metre (3 feet) of space on all sides and 3 metres (10 feet) of clearance above. Don't park vehicles within 1.5 metre of cart.
- Make sure to remove or cut back any hedges or branches to provide clearance for our collection crews.
- After your cart has been emptied, remember to remove it off the lane or street and back to your property.
Pickup times vary from week to week. Also be aware of possible delays on statutory holidays - double check your collection schedule or calendar for dates.
We'll collect additional recycling in your old recycling bin for no additional cost. But, if it's determined your household is consistently using your old recycling box because there isn't enough space in your cart, we'll automatically upsize your cart.
We transport your recyclables to a recycling sorting facility where they are sorted into separate commodity streams through an automated system.
The recyclables are sorted using a recycling process based on material weights and densities, using lasers, and magnets.
The recyclables are baled and marketed to various processors that convert the product back into raw materials.
See the complete recycling process to learn how each recyclable item is processed.