561 172nd Street, Surrey BC
About The Glades
The Glades is currently open for scheduled tours by donation only, contingent upon guide availability. Minimum 5 people, $5/person. Call 604-501-5136.
Thank you to everyone that attended the events during the spring and summer of 2016. Please check back in early 2017 for information on upcoming open houses and events, including our annual Mother’s Day celebration in the garden.
With recent expansions, this property now covers 15 acres and includes a new parking lot and areas for future development. The original plantings cover the 5-acre garden, and contain over 1,600 mature rhododendrons, azaleas and companion plants. Some of the rhododendrons are more than 6 metres (20 feet) tall, and are ablaze in colour in the spring. The garden also contains a superb collection of fine trees, many of which are now designated as heritage.
In 1956, Lydia and Murray Stephen purchased a 5-acre parcel of land riddled with blackberries, alder trees and stumps; remnants from turn of the century land clearings. Murray’s dream was to recreate the beautiful rhododendron gardens remembered from his youth in Scotland. They renovated the land, planting rhododendrons, azaleas, exotic trees and shrubs
After Murray passed away in 1970, the garden fell into a state of decline until Jim and Elfriede DeWolf purchased the garden in 1994 and began their restoration. The garden saw another stage of transformations in 2002 when the DeWolfs gifted The Glades to the City of Surrey. Numerous renovations and additions have taken place, and new ones are on the horizon. The DeWolfs have a life estate and continue to have much input into the garden, ensuring its footprint is not altered, but enhanced in a manner that Murray Stephen would approve.
Photo Album Credit: