Discovery Saturday: Celtic Fest
March 15, 2014
Experience all things Celtic at this Discovery Saturday event!
Join us at the Surrey Museum for captivating Celtic music and dancing, learn about Celtic history through local community groups, and get creative with Celtic crafts.
• Explore this rich culture with Celtic-inspired games and take-home crafts such as Loch Ness monster puppets and salt dough shamrocks.
• Visit with the Westcoast Calligraphy Society, who will demonstrate Celtic calligraphy and letter visitors’ names on souvenir bookmarks.
• Community groups with Celtic connections will share their culture, heritage and achievements with Museum visitors. Participating organizations include White Rock Irish Festival, Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association, Irish Club of White Rock, BC Highland Games, Ireland Canada Monument Society and Scoil Ghaeilge Vancouver (Irish School Vancouver).
• 2:00pm-3:30pm: Brendan Flynn of the Ireland Canada Monument Society will give a talk on Brian Boru, one of Ireland’s greatest heroes and the last high king of the country. 2014 marks the 1000th anniversary of Boru’s death at the Battle of Clontarf in Dublin, Ireland in 1014. Fee: $5 per person, pre-registration is required at 604-592-6956.
- 1:00pm: The Cambrian Circle Singers will perform Welsh folk songs.
- 1:30pm: Allen Barnett on the Scottish accordion.
- 2:00pm: Gerry Bradley and Sasha Pawluik, of the Irish band Small Potatoes, will perform enchanting fiddle and whistle tunes.
- 2:30pm: Child of Sunset will perform traditional Celtic flute and guitar music.
- 3:00pm: The White Rock Scottish Country Dance Club will take to the floor.
- 3:30pm: Young dancers from Steel School of Irish Dance will entertain visitors with lively jigs.
Drop in, by donation
Location: Surrey Museum, 17710 - 56A Avenue
Time: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Town Centre: Cloverdale