November 11, 2016
Surrey Remembers at the Surrey Museum and Surrey Archives
After the ceremony, join us in the Museum to warm up and enjoy activities:
- Children can make “peaceful crafts,” like tissue paper poppies and thankful artwork, to commemorate the day.
- Write thank you notes on postcards that will be delivered to Lower Mainland veterans and their families.
- View WWII documentary videos in the Museum’s theatre.
- Watch demonstrations of weaving and spinning in the Textile Studio. See a heritage loom used to rehabilitate veterans and try your hand at weaving on the Museum’s table loom.
- Warm up with hot chocolate and cookies.
Lecture: Canadian Sikhs in World War I - Join Sharanjit Kaur Sandhra for a discussion on his research on the forgotten story of 10 Canadian-Sikh soldiers who served for Canada during World War I. By donation
Join us in the Archives across the plaza for these activities:
- View real wartime newspapers, documents, and photographs.
- Watch a slideshow on experiences in Surrey during World War I, and listen to reminiscences with the Veterans’ Oral History Collection.
Drop in, Free
Location: Surrey Museum, 17710 - 56A Avenue
Time: 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Town Centre: Cloverdale