Parks, Recreation & Culture Strategic Plan
Surrey is a city abundant with parks, recreational facilities, and a vibrant arts, cultural and heritage community. The Parks, Recreation & Culture (PRC) Department helps to plan and operate many of these amenities. To build on these assets, and to meet the needs of a diverse and growing community, the City is developing a new PRC Strategic Plan. The current 2008 PRC Strategic Plan expires at the end of the year.
The new PRC Plan will:
- Set Direction: The new PRC plan will identify the greatest needs and opportunities, and set our direction for the next decade.
- Accommodate Growth: We're expecting 100,000 new residents over the next 10 years. The PRC plan will accommodate these residents while responding to our community’s changing interests.
- Guide Investment: The PRC Plan will help determine important funding and infrastructure decisions, and determine where and how money should be spent.
Before you give us your feedback, here are 10 new PRC projects your should know about.
Tell us what matters to you
You can also subscribe to our eNews below stay up to date with the latest news about the PRC Plan's progress.
Join us at a fun, family-friendly event to learn more and share your ideas for the future of PRC.
April 22, 2017
Dive deeper into the PRC issues that matter most to you at one of the upcomming strategic workshops.
April 1 to April 3, 2017
- Phase 1 - Getting Started
- Phase 2 - Community Engagement
- Step 1 (March-April), the process begins with fun and interactive public idea fairs, workshops and pop-up events across the City. Join us as we explore early ideas, issues and priorities.
- Step 2 (May-June), we will dive deeper and discuss key priorities and directions with additional workshops and pop-up events.
- Step 3 (July-August), we will use your feedback to develop key elements of the plan to make sure we are on the right track.
- Phase 3 - Developing the Plan
- Phase 4 - Plan Approval
Phase 1 - Getting Started
August - September 2016
We started by assigning a project team, briefing Council committees, scheduling, hiring consultants and budgeting.
October 2016 - February 2017
We then got to work on an inventory of existing PRC facilities and services to benchmark current services. We also studied Surrey's population & demographic data and reviewed best practices & trends in preparation for the community engagement phase.
Phase 2 - Community Engagement
March - August 2017
There are a variety of meaningful events and activities to get involved and help shape the new PRC Strategic Plan, including idea fairs, world cafe style workshops and online surveys. Share your ideas with us now:
More events to come! Check back soon for more information on upcoming events or subscribe below to our eNews to stay up-to-date about engagement opportunities.
Phase 3 - Developing the Plan
August - November 2017
Starting in late Summer we will begin developing a draft Plan. Along the way, opportunities will be provided to review and comment on proposed reccommendations and implementation.
Phase 4 - Plan Approval
November 2017 to March 2018
Once we've got a working draft of the Plan, we will put on the finishing touches and present it to Council for a March 2018 approval.
For more information about the project, please contact us: