Early Years & Preschool Programs in Surrey
The City of Surrey offers affordable, licensed, play-based preschools and a wide variety of specialized recreation programming for children five and under. Our drop-in and registered preschool programs are designed to promote healthy growth and development through the important early years of your child.
Through positive, interactive play and experienced caring staff, our preschool programs will prepare your child for the next stage of learning and life.
Registration for 2016-2017 Preschool Programs is Now Open!
Check out the 2016-2017 program offerings in each community:
How to Register for Preschool Programs
- By phone at 604-501-5100
- Online using Activities Search and Registration
- In person at any Surrey Parks, Recreation and Culture facility.
Get to know our Year-Long Preschool Programs
Why choose the City of Surrey for your child?
- Quality - The City of Surrey was a recipient of a 2014 Province of BC Child Care Award of Excellence for our licensed preschools.
- Cost - Our hourly rate for care is among the lowest in the city. We also have options for child care subsidy and provide monthly payment plans.
- Reach - We are the largest child care provider in Surrey serving over 900 preschool students annually.
- Choice - We offer over 85 preschool programs at 23 unique sites across Surrey.
- Staff - We employ over 90 high quality certified Early Child Educators who specialize in leading our dynamic, child centered approach.
How old does my child need to be for City of Surrey's preschool?
Our licensed preschools are available for children aged 3 to 5. All children must be either 3 or 4 years old by December 31, 2016.
- Preschool Social Recreation (age 3 to 5)
- Pre-Kindergarten (age 4 to 5)
When does it run?
Preschool is available from September to June. Some programs are offered on a seasonal basis and throughout the summer months. There are several options ranging from:
- 1 to 3 times per week
- 2 to 5 hours per day
- Morning and afternoon
What will my child experience?
Our preschool programs are based on a responsive curriculum, supported by the British Columbia Early Learning Framework.
With responsive curriculum, the educator develops the program as they listen and observe your child in play. In this education style your child becomes part of an engaged, reflective program that is based on their interests. Our educators are also dedicated to developing each child's social, emotional, physical, creative, communication, and literacy skills.
Our preschool program builds independence and self-confidence in your child. It encourages creativity, promotes sharing and problem solving, helps in concept building and guides speech and language development.
Can I access financial assistance?
Where can I find out more about your Preschool programs?
Learn about the benefits of responsive curriculum, and the City of Surrey's Preschool program philosophy, in our Early Years Preschool Parent Handbook. Additionally, the how Recreation Surrey is making a difference for children ages 0 to 18.
Drop-in Preschool Programs
We offer Stay & Play and Preschool Play Day drop-in preschool programs. These programs include the following activities for your child:
- Sports and Crafts
- Dance and Music
- Theme Events
- Preschool Social Recreation
Preschool Registered Programs
We offer shorter preschool registered programs that run seasonally and generally range from 1 to 2 hours. Children participating in this program must be ages 3 to 5.
Parent Participation Programs
Drop-in with your child, for a positive play and learning experience supervised by qualified staff. Meet new friends and neighbours, share ideas with other parents, and have fun with your child! Children participating in this program must be ages 0 to 6.
Guided activities may include:
- Parachute Games
- Ride-on Toys
- Music and Movement
- Active Games