Cultural Plan for Surrey
Surrey’s new Cultural Plan
Surrey’s Parks, Recreation and Culture Department has developed a Cultural Plan (PDF. New window) – a practical guide for the future development of arts and heritage in Surrey.
Objectives of the Cultural Plan
- Assess feasibility and service needs for cultural facility space for South Surrey.
- Reassess the functional space plan and needs for a phase II expansion of the Surrey Museum.
- Develop 6 community Public Art Plans, identifying sites and themes for public art in Cloverdale, South Surrey, Newton, Surrey City Centre, Guildford and Fleetwood.
- Compile an inventory of public and private sector cultural assets, services and facilities in Surrey; identifying evident gaps and needs.
- Identify needs, opportunities, space and operational requirements for a decentralized model of arts and heritage City-wide services.
- Identify space and resource requirements for the growth and preservation of City material cultural and art collections.
- Assess needs and roles for effective communication of cultural values and benefits by public and community stakeholders.
- Identify cultural spaces and amenities in City Centre development plans.
Purpose of the Cultural Plan
- To establish a practical framework for guiding efforts and resources to the maintenance and development of arts and heritage in Surrey.
- To engage the community and the City in enhancing awareness and understanding of the role of arts and heritage in Surrey’s ongoing evolution as a major urban centre.