Surrey Leadership Youth Council (SLYC)
Have thoughts, opinions, and ideas about your community? Encourage other youth in Surrey to speak up by joining the Surrey Leadership Youth Council (SLYC)!
SLYC is a group of youth who’re aiming to have youth voices heard and acted upon by the City of Surrey. SLYC believes other youth know what’s up and can make a difference.
“Youth helping youth speak up and have their voices heard”
Apply for a Mini-Grant to turn your idea for positive change into action!
A snap shot of what we do:
- Organize and host the annual Youth Speak Up! Forum. This day-long forum usually consists of workshops, fun games like fear factor, prizes, and the chance to meet new people.
- Engage others through art and beautification in the city. For example, we painted the yellow piano at Surrey Central PARKit!
- Run activities and hang out at special events, like Surrey Youth Fest
There are many ways to get involved with SLYC. You could help behind-the-scenes, create art, do public speaking, and more!
- Bus tickets to get to and from meetings/events
- Volunteer hours
- SLYC stuff: hoodies, t-shirts, pens
- Meet new friends
- Develop skills in: public speaking, facilitating, advertising
How to join SLYC!
Come out to our meetings! We meet Mondays 4:15 – 6:30 at Surrey City Hall.
Contact Amie at AJohnson@surrey.ca or (604) 591-4709 if you want to join us, or have any questions to ask.