Future Leaders - Youth Leadership Program
The Future Leaders Youth Leadership Program is open to registered City of Surrey volunteers between 14-21 years of age.
This 5-step program will help build leadership skills, training and experience towards becoming a City of Surrey instructor, day camp leader or child-minder.
At the completion of the program, you will receive a reference letter and certificate of completion.
5 Steps to Completion
Steps 1 to 3 can be started on your own. Once they're done, apply to participate in the Instructor Internship, which is step 4.
- Register as a volunteer. Find out how to become a new volunteer and register.
- Volunteer experience. Complete 14 volunteer hours anywhere within the City of Surrey’s Parks, Recreation & Culture programs.
- Complete 3 Volunteer Development Courses. Leadership Fundamentals (formerly Leadership Level 1), Emergency First Aid & CPR C, and one more course of your choice (e.g., Volunteer Involvement or Communicating through Conflict). Note: High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development is not applicable for this step, and the First Aid course may be completed elsewhere.
- Instructor Internship (must be 16 years of age to complete this step). Shadow an experienced City of Surrey instructor for an 8-week course based on your interest. Have fun learning valuable skills and techniques, such as class management, creating lesson plans and participant skill progression. The next intake is for the Fall Season (Sept-Dec) and applications will be accepted until Friday, August 19, 2016. The Fall 2016 Instructor Internship Application Form and Details about the Instructor Internship are available for download.
- Complete Volunteer Development Course. High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development.
Testimonials from Past Future Leaders
"The Future Leaders Program is an excellent way to see what it takes to become a program instructor, and the preparation work that needs to go into each class beforehand." —Amy
"If there is one thing I have learned as a Future Leader it is that leadership is more than directing a group of people; it is adapting to the needs of each individual." —Lexi
"For anyone who enjoys working with children and wants to make a positive impact in their lives, I would strongly encourage you to take part in the Future Leaders – Youth Leadership Program." —Megan
Recommended Coursework (Optional)
If you are interested in instructing sport-based programs, I AM Game will give you theory and application to successfully lead sport programs that focus on physical literacy, inclusiveness and social development.
Questions about Future Leaders
Check out this information sheet to find answers to many of your questions.
For more information about the program, contact email@example.com.