Skip navigation

Controlled Substance Properties

Properties in the City of Surrey identified as being used for the manufacture, storage, growing or sale of controlled substances such as marihuana or methamphetamine must meet health and safety requirements before people are allowed to occupy the property.

The City of Surrey Bylaw & Licensing Section performs several functions relating to the Controlled Substance Property Bylaw, such as:

  • Invoices property owners for special safety inspections performed by the Electrical Fire Safety Inspection team.
  • Invoices property owners for dismantling costs incurred by the RCMP.
  • Ensures controlled substance properties are remediated to the City’s requirements, or demolished.

The Bylaw & Licensing Section maintains records of controlled substance properties and their status.

Realtors and potential purchasers of properties can receive verbal confirmation regarding a property’s status by calling 604-591-4370.

If written documentation is required by a realtor or purchaser, a letter of comfort can be obtained from the Planning and Development Department at 604-591-4441. Please note that there is a fee for this service.

Property Owners

Property owners have specific responsibilities assigned by the Controlled Substance Property Bylaw in Surrey. Owners must:

  • Inspect rental properties at least every 3 months to ensure that the Bylaw is not being contravened.
  • Report any contraventions of the Bylaw to the RCMP.
  • Ensure remediation of the property is completed within a reasonable amount of time (the Bylaw allows 60 days for property owners to remediate the property).

For more information, contact the Bylaw & Licensing Section at 604-591-4370.