Electric Vehicle Strategy
Learn more about Surrey's Electric Vehicle Strategy.
How we power the way Surrey residents get around the City impacts the health of our environment, economy and personal well-being. As part of Surrey's goal for becoming a greener and more sustainable city, the City is developing an Electric Vehicle Strategy. The strategy will identify actions over the next five years, with a long-term vision that all vehicles in Surrey are zero-emissions.
The City sees zero-emission electric vehicles as an important key to reducing our city's carbon footprint, improving local air quality and reducing energy use.
Public & Stakeholder Engagement Results
The City conducted a public survey from November 2019 to January 2020 to help understand barriers to EV adoption and opportunities for action. View a summary of the EV Strategy: Barriers & Opportunities Survey Results.
- In November 2019 the City hosted a series of 4 stakeholder workshops focused on determining the best approaches to public and private charging infrastructure, accelerating individual EV adoption, and accelerating fleet adoption. Learn about what we heard from the focus group in the EV Strategy: Focus Group Summary Report.
- In July 2020, the City re-engaged stakeholders to rank and comment on draft actions proposed to encourage, support, and accelerate EV adoption. Read about the key findings from the Surrey EV Strategy Survey #2: Refining and Prioritizing Actions.
Electric Vehicle Strategy Objectives
- Understand the barriers for EV adoption, including accessibility and equity issues
- Speed up EV adoption for Surrey residents, businesses and fleets
- Make home and workplace charging more accessible
- Focus on strategic investments in public charging infrastructure
- Recommend policy and process improvements
- Show how the City will lead by example
Greenhouse gas emissions related to transportation make up 55% of our city’s total carbon footprint. Of this 55%, personal vehicles contribute the majority.
Where We Are At
Phase 1: Discovery
During this phase we will focus on identifying emerging trends across the EV landscape. Our findings will help inform the City’s action plan. This phase includes a comprehensive best practice, academic and policy review. We will also engage stakeholders to understand the attitudes, barriers and opportunities for EV adoption in Surrey.
Engagement will include a public survey and a series of stakeholder focus groups.
Phase 2: Developing Draft Options
During this phase, staff will develop a preliminary action plan and strategy framework using the results of:
- research and content development;
- technical analysis; and
- stakeholder engagement from the discovery stage.
We will also establish frameworks to track progress towards targets and sustainable funding mechanisms.
Phase 3: Presenting and Refining Options
We will re-engage stakeholders to review, refine and help rank proposed City actions. We will:
- present what we heard through a second stakeholder survey;
- present how feedback has influenced the draft strategy;
- confirm support for our direction and action plan priorities; and
- identify any missing components.
Phase 4: Strategy Approval
The Surrey Electric Vehicle Strategy and Action Plan will be presented to Council for approval.