Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Award
The Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Award recognizes outstanding service to our community.
The City of Surrey Council invites nominations for the 2021 Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Award.
This honour is awarded to a person who has given outstanding service for the betterment of our community over the years.
Selection criteria includes that:
- The individual is a current resident or business owner during the years of service under consideration;
- The honour be awarded to an individual who has given outstanding service for at least 15 years;
- Volunteer contributions have had a positive influence in the City of Surrey and to its residents;
- That elected officials currently holding office, not be considered for this award;
- That any person that is not politically active including former elected officials may be considered for this award.
When selecting a recipient of the award Council will also consider the diversity and demographics in the City and look to ensure that the award recipients reflective of this over time.
Apply for the 2021 Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Award
Nominees are encouraged to review the Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Policy.
Completed nomination forms can be submitted via email to email@example.com or via mail to the Office of the City Clerk, 13450 - 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC V3T 1V8, no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, September 17, 2021.
2020 Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Award
The 2020 Surrey Good Citizen of the Year Award was presented to Mr. Jim Bennett. Mr. Bennett has volunteered for over 30 years and has served on numerous committees, boards and community projects. He has also founded two major community organizations and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to support the most vulnerable citizens living in the City of Surrey. Over the years, Mr. Bennett has received many awards, including the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal, and is still serving the community today as the Trust Administrator for the Jim Bennett Trust Fund.
- 2007: Volkmar (Wally) Sandvoss
- 2008: Jim King
- 2009: Marie Cooper
- 2010: Bill McNamara
- 2011: Avril Flather
- 2012: Deb Jack
- 2013: Bill Reid
- 2014: Ron Meadley
- 2015: Michael Wilson
- 2016: Rick Hart
- 2017: Bob McMurray
- 2018: James Good
- 2019: A recipient was not selected
- 2020: Jim Bennett