Workplace Emergency Kit
Get a Workplace Emergency Kit checklist.
Workplace Safety Kit for Employees
Download the full Workplace Emergency Kit Checklist
You could be at work when disaster strikes. Be prepared to turn your workplace into a temporary shelter – don’t
presume your employer has this responsibility.
Use a sturdy backpack to store your supplies and include:
- Essential medications
- Bottled water (three-day supply, 2 litres/day)
- Food that won’t spoil like energy bars, nuts, granola, and dried fruit
- Cash in small bills, coins and phone credit cards
- Copy of contact numbers and addresses
- Crank or battery-powered flashlight and radio (replace batteries once a year)
- Cell phone plug-in and battery chargers and spare batteries
- Travel-sized toiletries (toothbrush/paste etc.)
- Feminine hygiene supplies
- Toilet paper and newspaper
- Hand sanitizer
- Extra clothing, socks and sturdy walking shoes
- Emergency blanket or sleeping bag
- Quick-dry towel or cloth
- Candle/tealight in a deep can, matches or lighter
- First aid kit
- Multi-purpose knife
- Dust mask and hard hat
- Work gloves
- Local maps and a compass
- Emergency whistle
- Reading material or cards
- Picture of loved ones to help locate those who are missing/lost
Workplace Safety Kit for Employers
Prepare emergency kits ahead of time and ensure they are easily accessible. Be prepared for the possibility that your office might serve as a temporary shelter for employees or customers.
This list includes workplace emergency kit basics. Add in any additional supplies you may need, and store in easily transportable bags (like backpacks or duff el bags) – your “Grab and Go” bags. In an emergency, employee and customer safety is always the first priority.
Supplies should include:
- Important business records
- Software and Office supplies
- Tools and Supplies
- Sanitation supplies
- Emergency Supplies
For the full list of employer emergency kits, download the Emergency Toolkit for Businesses.