Surrey Fire Regional Dispatch
Surrey Fire Regional Dispatch provides emergency dispatch services to more than 50 communities.
Surrey Fire Regional Dispatch provides professional call-taking and dispatch for the Surrey Fire Service and several other municipalities across BC.
Dispatching for the fire service since 1975, our technology, team and services have all been tailored to serve the needs of fire crews across the province.
Along with emergency fire dispatch, we provide after-hours public works for eleven lower mainland jurisdictions and after-hours bylaws for the City of Surrey.
In 2021, we received more than 94,000 calls generating over 75,000 incidents. Innovations in technology provide automated down-streamed interfaces with the British Columbia Ambulance Services for CAD to CAD interoperability, providing the responding crews with quicker notification and overall faster response times.
Performance Measurements & Targets
Surrey Fire Regional Dispatch follows the National Fire Protection Association standards for its performance measurements and targets:
- 911 call answering down-streamed calls from the Primary Service Answering Point (PSAP) in 15 seconds or less 95% of the time and within 40 seconds or less 99% of the time.
- Dispatch processing emergency calls over the five-year period (2017-2021) are 48 seconds, well exceeding the standard. (The 2019 NFPA standard dictates that emergency alarm processing shall be completed within 60 seconds or less, 90% of the time).
How We Operate
Surrey Fire Service operates on a two-platoon (or four-shift) system, with a group of full-time call-takers and dispatchers permanently assigned to each shift. These employees are supplemented by a team of dedicated and fully trained part-time staff that assist in matching peak staffing and coverage as required in the Centre.
In total, we currently employ 32 individuals in our Dispatch Centre. Our operators have an average of 10 years of fire-specific dispatch experience, and our comprehensive training requirements ensure that every operator is highly skilled and prepared to handle the needs of everything from high call volume urban centres to rural volunteer departments.
Surrey Fire Service is committed to providing comprehensive training and development programming. Employees are required to complete skills maintenance drills monthly, advance their education through related training material, and actively participate in department-wide training events, under the direction of a qualified shift supervisor and overseen by the Communications Manager.
Our systems are also continually updated to anticipate and serve the needs of firefighters. We understand that communication is critical, which is why Surrey Fire Regional Dispatch operators monitor tactical talk groups and provide continual support to on-scene fire crews, while at the same time maximizing efficiency and eliminating the need to carry two radios.
Surrey Fire continues to advance its dispatching and service boundaries, answering to requests for proposals across British Columbia and identifying best practices for innovation and improved service levels. We are proud of the exceptional service we provide the citizens of Surrey and our client fire departments.
For more information about Surrey Fire Regional Dispatch, contact SFRegionalDispatch@surrey.ca.
Fire Departments We Serve
- Anglemont Volunteer Fire Department
- Bowen Island Fire Department
- Bralorne Volunteer Fire Department
- Celista Volunteer Fire Department
- Colwood Fire Rescue
- Cranberry Volunteer Fire Department
- District of North Vancouver Fire Rescue
- Eagle Bay Volunteer Fire Department
- East Wellington Fire Department
- Esquimalt Fire Rescue
- Extension Volunteer Fire Department
- Falkland Volunteer Fire Department
- Field Fire Rescue
- Gabriola Volunteer Fire Department
- Golden Fire Rescue
- Langford Fire Rescue
- Langley City Fire Rescue Service
- Lantzville Fire Rescue
- Lillooet Fire Department
- Lions Bay Fire Rescue
- Malakwa Volunteer Fire Department
- Maple Ridge Fire Rescue
- Nanaimo Fire Rescue
- Nicholson Volunteer Fire Department
- North Cedar Fire Department
- North Saanich Fire Department
- North Vancouver City Fire Department
- Pitt Meadows Fire Rescue
- Port Coquitlam Fire & Emergency Services
- Ranchero/Deep Creek Volunteer Fire Department
- Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services
- Salmon Arm Fire Department
- Sasamat Fire Department
- Scotch Creek/Lee Creek Volunteer Fire Department
- Seton Valley Fire Department
- Shuswap Volunteer Fire Department
- Sicamous Fire Department
- Sidney Fire Rescue
- Silver Creek Volunteer Fire Department
- Skwlax Fire Department
- Surrey Fire Service
- Swansea Point Volunteer Fire Department
- Tappen/Sunnybrae Volunteer Fire Department
- Township of Langley Fire Department
- Victoria Fire Department
- View Royal Fire Rescue
- West Vancouver Fire Rescue
- White Lake Volunteer Fire Department
- White Rock Fire Rescue