Learn about the City's Cultural Grants Program and how to apply.
The Cultural Grants Program supports a wide range of arts and cultural activity in Surrey, including artistic practices (music, dance, theatre, literary, visual, media, inter-disciplinary, community-based and Indigenous arts) and cultural celebrations and events that reflect Surrey's diverse heritage and community.
2021 Cultural Grant Key Dates
Review the Surrey Cultural Grants Program Guidelines to find out if you are eligible for a Cultural Grant and learn how to apply.
Take a look below for key dates for the application:
- September 30: Expression of Interest forms due
- October 7: Grant Writing Workshop (online)
- October 14 & 17: Individual Application Mentorship Sessions for eligible applicants
- November 4: Cultural Grants Application Deadline
The vision of the Cultural Grants Program is to support and enhance arts and culture in Surrey by:
- Building organizational capability and sustainability in new and existing local cultural organizations
- Investing in community-based cultural activities that promote awareness, access, participation and appreciation of arts and heritage
- Encouraging collaborative opportunities and partnerships
2021 Grant Categories
Grant are awarded in three categories. Eligible organizations may submit only one application per intake period.
1. Capacity Building Grants
Grants are provided to support initiatives to build organizational capacity, including training, workshops, conferences, applying for registered not-for-profit status, board development activities, marketing, and strategic planning.
- Registered not-for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for up to $3,000.
- Non-registered not-for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for up to $2,500.
2. Project Grants
Project grants encourage partnerships and collaborations that result in cultural programs and initiatives. The grant award may contribute up to 50% of the project budget on a matching basis. Matching funds can be a combination of cash and in-kind contributions, with in-kind volunteer hours limited to 30% of the overall project budget.
- Registered not-for-profit organizations with a project budget of $50,000 or greater are eligible to apply for up to $10,000.
- Registered not-for-profit organizations with a project budget less than $50,000 are eligible to apply for up to $5,000.
- Non-registered not-for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for up to $5,000.
3. Operating Grants
Operating grants aim to support and sustain the work of mature, registered not-for-profit arts and cultural organizations that deliver consistent, meaningful, and original local programming, demonstrate sustainable administrative practices and organizational structures, and play a leadership role in enriching and enlivening Surrey's cultural landscape.
Under this category, eligible organizations can apply for up to 20% of their annual operating budget, to a maximum of $15,000.
Previously Awarded Cultural Grants
- 2021 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2020 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2019 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2018 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2017 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2016 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2015 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2014 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2013 Cultural Grants Awarded
For more information, email email@example.com.