Pack It In, Pack It Out
Find tips on how to have a sustainable picnic in a Surrey park.
The next time you have your picnic, make sure you choose sustainable, reusable and recyclable supplies. Help keep Surrey’s Parks clean and beautiful while also diverting waste through the appropriate streams at your home. Be sure to Pack it In and Pack it Out!
Making your Picnic More Sustainable
Pack reusable items such as:
- Reusable utensils
- Reusable dishes and glassware
- Reusable containers
- Reusable bags
- Paper or metal straws
- Wooden stir-sticks
- Recycled paper napkins
Keep these items out of parks:
- Plastic straws
- Plastic bags
- Single-use cups
- Plastic stir-sticks
- Disposable napkins
- Single-use water bottles
- Single-use beverage containers
Community Action Goals
This summer at the Pack It In, Pack It Out Headquarters at Blackie Spit Park, we asked children and youth in the community how they will take action to Pack Out their waste from the park. Here are some of the actions they have committed to take:
- Make food at home and pack my picnic into reusable containers - Funzone Camp
- Reuse any plastic bags I have - Funzone Camp
- Use my water bottle 100% of the time - D.C
- Make tea and coffee at home and use my reusable mug - L.C
- Bring my reusable bottle and straw everywhere I go
- Not order takout to the park
- Not use baloons or water baloons at the park
- Sort my waste into my bins at home
- Go to environment club once school starts to talk to my friends about how to Pack It In, Pack it Out - E.S.
- Use my narwhale lunch box - R.G.
- Avoid single use plastics - Tessa and Nadia
- Take Pizza Boxes Home with me to put in the compost bin - H.H, L.T.
- Use my reusable ("Fun and Fresh") straw when I go to Starbucks - M.B
- Pack snacks into a reusable container, water bottle, and bag - A.H
- Take my banana peels and apple cores home to compost instead of leaving them on the ground - N.O
- Always pack my garbage home - A.S, S.T, K.A,
- Encourage others to Pack It In, Pack It Out, because our park is not a garbage bin
- Use my goldfish cracker container - K.V
We would like to thank all of those who continue to make sustainable and reusable choices when visiting Surrey's Parks. Together we can keep parks clean and beautiful!