Municipal Policy & Process Development in Business Improvement Areas
Revised July 31, 2020
Request for Proposals
The City of Surrey (the “City”) seeks the services of a qualified professional consultant to provide consulting services for the provision of municipal policy and process development in business improvements areas (the “BIA”). The Services will be participated by a collective group of BC municipalities, spearheaded by the City of Surrey. In British Columbia, the Community Charter provides the authority for a municipality to create a BIA by by-law and establishes the rules for the establishment and operation of such an area.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The Consultant will provide support in the development of the following:
- Establishment of a BIA handbook for responding to the Community Charter legislation to support the administration of BIAs; and
- Establishment of two separate toolkits; one for the municipality and the other for their respective BIAs, to improve transparency, accountability, timeliness and stronger civic relations with their respective municipalities.
Conduct a comprehensive literature review of municipal and BIA policies and procedures as it relates to BIAs within BC municipalities;
Targeted interviews with stakeholders for the purposes of understanding the existing processes (similarities and differences) of how different BC communities deliver their legislative requirements with respect to BIAs;
Establish a steering committee chaired by the City of Surrey to provide support and guidance on the development on two toolkits, one for municipalities and the other for BIAs;
Workshop with relevant stakeholders to share results and invite feedback on draft handbook and toolkits;
Produce two toolkits; one for municipalities and the other for BIAs to improve transparency, timeliness, accountability and relations between the City and BIAs; and
Final presentation to highlight the process, findings and recommendations.
CONSULTANTS PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Demonstrated experience in:
- Collecting and collating information from various stakeholders including government, business associations and private sector business;
- Conducting comprehensive evaluations of existing operating policies and processes at the municipal level;
- Developing documentation outlining process improvements and implementation strategies; and
- Designing template policies, processes and guidelines to improve inter-agency collaboration, transparency and accountability.
RFP document for download:
Municipal Policy & Process Development in Business Improvement Areas (.pdf)
Schedule C - Form of Proposal (.doc)
If the City determines that an amendment is required to this RFP, the City Representative will issue a written addendum by posting it on the BC Bid Website at www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca (the “BC Bid Website”) and the City Website at www.surrey.ca (the “City Website”) that will form part of this RFP. No amendment of any kind to the RFP is effective unless it is posted in a formal written addendum on the City Website. Upon submitting a Proposal, Proponents will be deemed to have received notice of all addenda that are posted on the City Website.
All inquiries related to this RFP should be directed in writing to the person named below.