Mayor's Task Force on Gang Violence Prevention
This task force reviews prevention programs to identify gaps, challenges and issues.
The Mayor’s Task Force on Gang Violence Prevention was established to review existing gang violence prevention programs and services, identify gaps, challenges and issues with existing programs and services, and prepare a report outlining actionable recommendations for combatting gang violence. With the release of their final report the work of this task force has now concluded.
Task Force Objectives
- Review and optimize the Task Force's terms of reference;
- Develop a work plan and a timeline to guide Task Force work;
- Liaise with members' respective agencies for assistance in identifying current regional programs and services for review and evaluation;
- Identify and approach subject matter experts whose work and/or testimony would be beneficial to the work of the Task Force;
- Determine the need for further information and research on gang violence prevention;
- Prepare a final report outlining actionable recommendations for combatting gang violence;
- Support the implementation of the Task Force's final report recommendations through the actions of the members' respective agencies; and
- Receive and review input and presentations from agencies and academics.
The Public Safety Committee discusses municipal policing priorities and reviews community policing initiatives with the RCMP.
Learn more about the Mayor's Task Force on Gang Violence Prevention in the 2017 News Release.