Participating in Virtual Council Meetings
Virtual Council meetings are live-streamed on the City's website.
In compliance with orders issued by the Provincial Health Officer related to gatherings and events in the province of BC, Council meetings will be held virtually until directed otherwise. Council meetings are live-streamed on the City's website and members of the public are able to participate in Public Hearing matters by providing a written submission or by phone.
Public Hearings provide an opportunity for members of the public to provide comments to Council regarding the proposed bylaws under consideration by Council. For additional information, review upcoming Council Meeting Agendas and Public Hearing items.
How to participate in a virtual Public Hearing:
- Submit written comments to Council:
You can provide your submission online through the MySurrey Portal, however, if you have supporting documents please send your comments, along with attachments to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may submit your comments by mail to Mayor and Council, 13450 - 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC, V3T 1V8.
The deadline to receive submissions is by 12:00 p.m. on the date of the Public Hearing. Please note that your comments are public record and will be available on the City’s website.
- Register to speak to a Public Hearing item via telephone:
Registration will be open from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm on the date of Public Hearing. The submission form is below and is only accessible when registration is open. After registering, you will receive an email with further instructions. City staff will contact registered speakers after 6:45 p.m. and organize speakers for their opportunity to provide comments to Council regarding a specific Public Hearing item.
Please note the following instructions:
- Your comments must be relevant to the bylaw being considered at the Public Hearing. For more information, review the "Notice to Persons Speaking at the City of Surrey Regular Council – Public Hearing".
- You will have 5 minutes to speak
- Turn off all audio of the meeting. There is a 1-minute delay in the live stream so please listen to the cues given over the phone
- Do not put your phone on speaker phone
- Once you make your comments to Council, the call will end abruptly so that the next speaker can join the meeting.
- You will be put on a hold in a queue for the respective item, and you will be connected as soon as possible. If you hang up during this time, you will lose your place in the queue
If you miss this registration period, please watch the live meeting as there will be a limited opportunity for you to call. Agents, applicants and consultants should use this opportunity to call in, rather than registering to speak.
- If you do not wish to speak but would still like to convey your support or opposition to a Public Hearing item:
You may provide your submission in writing, as outlined above. Alternatively, you may phone 604-591-4132 to register your support or opposition. Registration will be open from 12:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. on the date of the Public Hearing.
When you call, please be prepared to provide the following information:
- The Public Hearing item
- Your first initial and last name
- Whether you live in the City of Surrey, and if so, what neighbourhood
- Whether you are in support of or opposed to the item