Councillor Laurie Guerra
Meet Councillor Laurie Guerra.
I am originally a “Vancouver-ite” and decided to make Surrey home 27 years ago. I currently reside in the Fleetwood area with my husband and five adult children.
After pursuing a professional dance, acting and modeling career in Vancouver, Los Angeles and Toronto, as well as touring worldwide promoting a televised fitness series, I settled in Surrey where I worked as a top-producing realtor, co-owner of a building company, and fitness and yoga instructor.
I am involved in my local church and along with my sister, help to take care of our aging parents. I enjoy Pilates and daily walks in beautiful Surrey Parks.
I am proud to have been chair of the Public Engagement Task Force.
Twenty years ago, at the age of five, my son was diagnosed with autism. Since then, I have been a director of the Autism Society of British Columbia (ASBC), chairing the Community Networking Committee through the ASBC and facilitating the Surrey Parent Support Group for the organization. I sat on the executive as Secretary for two terms, Vice-President for two terms and President for two terms.
I pride myself on being an advocate for science-based autism treatment as my son has reached best outcome from the treatment and is pursuing a master's degree in Mechatronic Systems Engineering.
Committees & Community Groups
- City of Surrey Audit Committee
- City of Surrey Finance Committee
- City of Surrey Parks, Recreation and Culture Committee - Chair
- City of Surrey Mayors Task Force on New and Innovative Revenue Generation
- City of Surrey Investment and Innovation Impact Committee (I3C)
- City of Surrey Community Services Committee – Vice Chair
- Surrey Housing and Homeless Society- President
- Metro Vancouver Board - Director
- Metro Vancouver Regional Planning Committee
- Metro Vancouver Regional Parks Committee
- Community Council for Surrey under the Ministry for Children and Family Development – Community Living (CLBC) branch - Past Chair
- Healthy Community Partnerships-SFU, Fraser Health and Surrey
- Surrey Memorial Hospital
- Fraser Health / Municipal Government Advisory
- Surrey Crime Prevention Society- Director four years.
- Neighborhood Block Watch - Captain