Skip navigation

Demolition Permit

You need a Demolition Permit for the demolition of all buildings and structures in Surrey.

How to Apply

Complete a Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans and fees to the City of Surrey’s Building Division. Basic information about the property will be requested at the time of application.

Review our Guide to Applying for a Demolition Permit for a Building or Structure for more information.

Professionals you may need

  • A Registered Professional (RP) will be required in the case of a partial demolition.
  • A pest management company may be required if the building is derelict or has been used for agricultural purposes. The pest management company may need to confirm that an appropriate rodent control program has been completed.
  • A Certified Arborist may be required to be on site during demolition.


Applicants will be directed to the Engineering Department to review their requirements. This will include arranging and paying for the water shutoff by City staff, capping of existing sanitary and storm connections marked by a 2X4 within two meters of the property line, and completing a pre-damage form.

Any anticipated impacts to City roads (including sidewalks and boulevards), such as obstructions or use of City road rights-of way for construction or demolition equipment, will require authorization and appropriate permits.

If the permit application is for the demolition of a single family dwelling and an existing accessory building is being retained on the property, a Building Permit for a New Single Family Dwelling may be required prior to the Demolition Permit being issued.

Applicants must also submit a Waste Disposal and Recycling Services Plan which includes an inventory and the estimated weight of the recyclable material present at the demolition site.

Required Documents

Include the following documents with your Demolition Permit application:

Permit Fees

The Building Permit fee is due at the time of application for your Demolition Permit.

Demolition permits also require a non-refundable $250 administration fee and a refundable $5,000 Waste Diversion Deposit as per the Demolition Waste and Recyclable Materials Bylaw. Your $5,000 waste diversion deposit will be returned in full when 70 per cent or more of your demolition and construction waste is diverted from the landfill. If less than 70 per cent of your waste is diverted, the refund will be adjusted on a sliding scale based on the diversion achieved.

Required Drawings

A site plan indicating the location of all existing structures and all proposed new buildings, if applicable.

After you Apply

Protection of trees

The Trees and Landscape Department will review your private property demolition permit to determine the tree protection requirements.

Heritage Designation

City staff will determine whether the building or structure is protected under a heritage designation.

Clean Wood Ban

Metro Vancouver bans the disposal of clean wood. Clean wood is not allowed in garbage loads delivered to the Surrey Transfer Station or to other Metro Vancouver facilities.

Fire Safety

Construction Fire Safety Plan must be submitted to and approved by the Fire Department for all Demolition Permits except for the demolition of single family dwellings.

Once the Building Official is satisfied that all the requirements have been met, the Demolition Permit will be issued. When all required documentation has been submitted, a straightforward application may be processed within a week. Any applicable conditions will be listed on the actual Demolition Permit.

Other Permit Information


Call BC One at 1-800-474-6886 for assistance in locating a natural gas connection. Call 1-888-224-2710 to have your natural gas shut off.


WorkSafeBC is notified of each Demolition Permit issued by the City. WorkSafeBC requires documentation listing all hazardous materials prior to the demolition of a building or structure.

A survey identifying all existing hazardous materials needs to be submitted by the property owner to WorkSafeBC prior to commencing any demolition work. For further information, contact WorkSafeBC at 604-276-3100.