Skip navigation

Sanitary Sewer Extensions

Sanitary sewer extensions

Some areas in the City that do not have sanitary sewers. Homes and businesses in these areas use private septic field systems to treat and dispose of wastewater. Property owners are responsible for operating and maintaining these private septic field systems.

The City may consider extending the sanitary sewer system to an area when:

  • You and your neighbours submit a signed petition for the sanitary sewer extension through the City’s Local Area Service Program;
  • A developer or property owner agrees to pay for the sanitary sewer extension (in this case, the developer or property owner may be able to recover some of their costs from other property owners who could connect to the sanitary sewer extension).

The area to be serviced must be located within Metro Vancouver’s Urban Containment Boundary and Fraser Sewerage Area.

Your property may be located within one of the City’s Secondary Plan or Neighbourhood Concept Plan (NCP) areas. If it is, a sanitary sewer extension into your area will be driven by future development. Extensions in other areas outside of NCP or Secondary Plan areas may also be driven by future development. Check out the COSMOS mapping system, or call the Engineering Department at 604-591-4340 to find out if your property is within one of these areas.