Skip navigation

Safe Speeds

Travel speeds are the fundamental factor in crash severity, with the risk of death and injury increasing as travel speeds increase. Research has shown that a pedestrian hit at 30 kilometres per hour has a 90 per cent chance of surviving, while at 55 kilometres per hour, they have only a 10 per cent chance of surviving.

Speeds must be managed through road design, enforcement, and education measures, especially in areas where vulnerable road users are present, or at locations where side impact and head on collisions remain possible.

Highlights of our planned Safe Speeds interventions include:

Automated Speed Enforcement

Automated Speed Enforcement is a technology used to enforce speed limits without putting police officers at risk. It has repeatedly been shown to reduce road deaths, injuries and collisions.

Speed Limit Review

Speed limits in Surrey are set using several factors including road geometry and land use. We will conduct a review of speed limits in Surrey using advanced data analysis. Speed limit signage will also be reviewed for consistency.

Speed Humps

Speed humps help to slow drivers down to around 30 km/h on Surrey’s local roads.

Speed Reader Boards

Speed reader boards are intended to encourage compliance with the posted speed limit by making motorists aware of their actual speed. Surrey’s effective use of these devices has been shown to reduce vehicles speeds in many critical locations, such as school zones and road construction areas.

Related Content

Safe Vehicles

Learn about safe vehicles and highlights of our planned safe vehicle actions.

Safe Road Users

Learn about safe road users and see highlights of our planned safe road user actions.