Skip navigation

Driveway Culverts

ENG - Driveway Culverts

Many areas of Surrey are serviced by an open drainage system of ditches and canals that convey stormwater to local creeks and streams, and driveway culverts are required to allow access to properties. As much of this drainage system also supports a wide diversity of aquatic life, culvert construction work must be carefully managed to avoid damaging the surrounding environment.

Driveway Culvert Specifications

There are four different watercourse classifications, and requirements that differ depending on the classification of the watercourse you are crossing:

  • Class A (Red) - Inhabited by salmon and trout all year, or potentially inhabited all year.
  • Class A(O) (Red dash) - Inhabited by salmon and trout primarily during the over-wintering period, or potentially inhabited during the over-wintering period with access enhancement.
  • Class B (Yellow) - Significant food or nutrient value. No fish present.
  • Class C (Green) - Insignificant food or nutrient value. No fish present.

Class A, A(O), and B

Class A, A(O), and B watercourses require environmental permits and approvals, which must be facilitated through a Qualified Environmental Professional (QEP) who will assess the watercourse and determine next steps, including coordination with the Ministry of Environment and Fisheries & Oceans Canada (DFO). Work may only occur during the instream work window to protect fish (August to mid-September).

Class C

Class C watercourses do not require environmental approvals, and permitted work may occur at any time of the year.

Provinicial Roads

All applications for culvert crossings accessing provincial roads must be directed to, and approved by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI).

Contact use at 604-591-4276, or visit the Engineering front counter on the second floor of City Hall, for more information on constructing a driveway culvert.

Related Content

Driveway Permit

See the requirments to build or widen a driveway on a single family or duplex residence in Surrey.


Be part of protecting and celebrating Surrey's environment.