Skip navigation

Making a Request for Traffic Calming

Follow the steps to request a traffic calming evaluation if your neighbourhood's having problems with traffic speed on your lane, school zone, or local residential road.

Before we put in traffic calming devices, such as speed humps, we consider:

  • cost and effectiveness,
  • suitability and practicality for the existing conditions, and
  • hindrance to emergency vehicles.

We fund 100% of the traffic calming installation and manage all aspects of approved projects. Project timelines are subject to weather, construction complexity, number of other projects, coordination with other projects in the area, and funding availability.

The process and criteria are different depending where you are requesting the calming.

See the process

    Collapse/Expand All
  • Requesting traffic calming on a local road expand
  • Requesting traffic calming on a local road

    Traffic calmed neighbourhood and speed hump signsHighways, arterial roads, and collector roads aren’t eligible for traffic calming, except for collector roads fronting elementary schools. This is because history shows traffic calming on arterial or collector roads doesn't work because it increases number of drivers using shortcuts on local roads to avoid the inconvenience and discomfort, increases emergency services' response times, and increases wear on transit vehicles and makes a bus ride uncomfortable, possibly unsafe, for passengers.

    Tip: Learn the classification of your street in the City's Road Classification Map before requesting traffic calming.

    Follow the 6 steps to see if traffic calming's right for your neighbourhood's local road.

    Step 1: You organize a traffic calming petition

    Fill out a Local Road Petition Form and send it to or by fax to 604-591-8693 or mail, showing

    • location of the local road,
    • description of the problem,
    • time of day when the most problems are most significant,
    • factors your neighbourhood thinks are causing the problems (eg, congestion at nearby intersections),
    • names, addresses and signatures of at least 10 separate households on the street of concern, and
    • your name, address and contact information as the petition organizer.

    Step 2:  We do a location review

    We focus traffic calming in Surrey on locations with long-term traffic speed issues, where the majority of drivers are driving inappropriately. 

    We don't put in traffic calming in locations with ongoing construction, because this is usually a temporary issue. But, if your neighbourhood still sees a traffic speed issue after construction's finished, contact us to start the evaluation process.

    Criteria: We'll consider traffic calming if​ 85% of daily vehicles travel at 10 km/h higher than the posted speed limit (usually 50 km/h).

    Based on previous reviews of other local roads, experience has shown that the City is often unable to support the introduction of traffic calming because the above criteria have not been met. Streets that may not qualify for traffic calming often have one or more of the following features:

    • Significant usage of on-street parking
    • Narrow pavement widths
    • Curves
    • Roads less than 2 blocks long (including cul-de-sacs or crescent roads)

    Prior to gathering signatures for a petition, please take these factors into consideration to help you determine the likelihood of your roadway meeting the warrants of a traffic study. Should you still decide to submit a petition, the City will conduct a traffic study to determine if traffic calming is warranted.

    Timeline: During our review, we:

    • Survey traffic conditions in the neighbourhood and collect daily traffic volume and speed data. 
    • Look at street issues like speeds, school zone, etc. 
    • Collect traffic data through radar studies and traffic counters using a traffic counter to collect vehicle speeds and volumes. 

    At the end of the review, usually within 1 to 2 months after receiving the petition, we'll contact you with the result, and letting you know the next steps.

    If the area meets the traffic calming criteria, we'll put the street or neighbourhood on our prioritized list for traffic calming plan development and funding.

    Step 3: We develop a Traffic Calming Plan

    We develop a cost-effective Traffic Calming Plan for the street, to use in future consultation. This plan may include signs and traffic calming devices.  

    Step 4: Your neighbourhood gives input

    We send out neighbourhood opinion surveys on the Traffic Calming Plan and gather feedback for around a month. In the survey, we ask households who live in the area to show their support for or opposition to the plan. 

    We'll go to the next step if

    • at least 40% of the residents in the affected area complete the survey, and if
    • at least 67% of the residents who do the survey support the Traffic Calming Plan. 

    If we don't hear from a household within the timeframe, we assume the household accepts the choice made by their neighbours.

    Speed humpStep 5: We arrange design, funding, and construction

    We arrange for any detailed design work, allocate project funding, and engage a contractor to install the traffic calming measures, including signs, pavement markings and landscaping. 

    Timeline: Traffic calming construction on local roads usually happens around 9 to 15 months after we've completed the neighbourhood survey.

  • Requesting traffic calming in back lanes expand
  • Requesting traffic calming in back lanes

    Speed hump in laneSend a completed Lane petition form to or fax it to 604-591-8693 or mail, showing:

    • lane location,
    • names, addresses and signatures of at least 67% of the properties that touch the specified lane, and
    • your name, address and contact information as the petition organizer. 

    After we check that the lane meets the traffic calming criteria, we'll

    • start the design process,
    • allocate funding for the project, and
    • engage a contractor to install the traffic calming measures, including signs and pavement markings. 

    Timeline: Construction usually takes place 9 to 15 months after we receive your petition. 

  • Requesting traffic calming in school zones expand
  • Requesting traffic calming in school zones

    School zone and speed humps signsSchools contact us to request traffic calming in school zones. A petition isn't necessary.  If you want traffic calming fronting a school, ask the principal of the school to talk to us.

    After we make sure the area meets the traffic calming criteria, we'll start the design process, allocate funding for the project, and engage a contractor to install the traffic calming devices, including signs and pavement markings. 

    Timeline: Construction usually starts 9 to 15 months after we receive the school's request.

Contact us

Contact our Traffic Management Section by submitting a traffic calming Service Request or by phone at 604-591-4580 for details on traffic calming in Surrey.