Visual elements not only enhance the look and feel of our websites, they also act as content, helping users better understand the message(s) you’re trying to convey.
All visuals need to be accessible, be optimized for mobile and follow brand standards.
- Diagrams and Infographics
W3.org is the industry leader in accessibility best practices. When creating a visual, the following standards need to be met:
- Font Size – ensure appropriate legibility (WCAG 2.0-1.4)
- Information cannot be conveyed by colour alone (WCAG 2.0 – 1.4)
- Colour Contrast- ensure an appropriate level of colour contrast (WCAG 2.0-1.4). Colour contrast can be checked online with a colour contrast checker.
- Avoid rasterized text (example: avoid text in image) (WCAG 2.0 – 1.1 & WCAG 2.0-1.4)
- Write Alternative Text for screen readers ( WCAG 2.0-3.1)