Skip navigation

Swanson House

Swanson House

Heritage Area: Newton

Site #: 190

Location: 6571 King George Boulevard

Registered: Dec. 4, 2000

Significance: Architectural, Historical

Description: Adolph and Ruth Swanson bought the property in 1927, cleared the site and started building the house in 1932. George and Rita Johnson bought the property around 1960, converting the farm into a trailer park. Rita Johnson served many years as a politician, first on Surrey Council, and later as an MLA and the first woman premier of B.C. The Craftsman bungalow features an open front veranda and single hung wood sash windows with horizontal and vertical muntins dividing the windows into rectangles and squares of varying sizes.