Skip navigation

First Town Hall and School Sites in Surrey Centre and Old McLellan Road

First Town Hall and School Sites in Surrey Centre and Old McLellan Road

First Town Hall and School Sites in Surrey Centre and Old McLellan Road

Heritage Area: Surrey Centre

Site #: 218

Location: 16671 & 16670 Old McLellan Road, and Old McLellan Road from Highway No. 10 to 168 St

Registered: January 12, 2004. Described in a Statement of Significance and included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places (CRHP)

Significance: Historical, Cultural

Description: Settled in the 1870's, Surrey Centre was chosen by Council to be the location of Surrey's first Town Hall in 1881. The village focused along the northern end of McClellan Road and included Christ Church (Site 5) and the Cemetery (Site 194), the former Methodist Cemetery (Site 173), Surrey Centre one-room school house, post office, general store and eventually was the location of the original fairgrounds.