On Saturday, October 20, 2018 eligible voters will cast their ballot to elect one (1) Mayor, eight (8) Councillors and six (6) School Trustees for School District No. 36 (Surrey).
The 2018 Surrey Municipal Election Voter Guide will help you navigate the upcoming election and introduce you to all the candidates running for the office of Mayor, Councillor and School Trustee.
View the Voter Guide (interactive version) or View the List of Candidates.
Download the Voter Guide (pdf version)
Running for Office in 2018
The nomination period for the 2018 Municipal Election closed at 4:00pm on Friday, September 14, 2018. Want to learn more about the nomination process? Looking to get more details about the 2018 Municipal Election Candidates? This page is intended as a summary guide only and is not a substitute for the provisions of applicable legislation which prevail.
On October 20, 2018, eligible voters will elect one (1) Mayor, eight (8) Councillors and six (6) School Trustees for School District No. 36 (Surrey).
To be eligible to run as a candidate for the City of Surrey Office of Mayor, Councillor or School Trustee, at the time of nomination a person must meet the requirements of the Local Government Act which include:
- At least 18 years of age on general voting day;
- A Canadian citizen;
- Have been a resident of BC for at least six months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed; and
- Not be disqualified by any law from voting in an election in BC, or from being nominated, elected or holding the office.
Other important notes for candidates:
- You do not need to live in the area that you are running in;
- If you currently work for the City of Surrey or the Surrey School District, you must take a leave of absence before being nominated;
- Federal employees must apply to the Public Service Commission for permission; and
- You must be nominated by two qualified electors (whose names must appear on the Elections BC’s list of electors) of the City of Surrey in accordance with the Local Government Act.
Election Sign Information
- Election Period: January 1, 2018 to September 21, 2018
- Nomination Period: September 4, 2018 to September 14, 2018
- Campaign Period: September 22, 2018 to October 20, 2018
- Advance Voting Opportunities: October 6, 10, 11 and 13, 2018
- Election Day: Saturday, October 20, 2018
- Submit Nomination Package to Surrey City Hall, Corporate Services Department (5E) by: 4:00pm, September 14, 2018
- Challenge of a Candidate’s Nomination: by 4:00pm, September 18, 2018
- Withdraw as a Candidate: by 4:00pm, September 21, 2018
- Withdraw Endorsement of Candidate: by 4:00pm, September 21, 2018
- File Campaign Financing Disclosure Statement with Elections BC: January 18, 2019
Provincial Guidance & Resources:
For answers to legislative questions about Municipal and Regional District Elections, please contact:
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Governance and Structure Branch
Elections BC Guides & Resources:
For answers to questions about the campaign financing disclosure and election advertising rules for candidates, please contact:
Resources for School Trustee Candidates: