2023 Surrey Regional Heritage Fair
Students research and present history projects and learn about Canadian history through interactive workshops and field trips.
Date & Time
Tickets & Pricing
Get Involved for 2023
Everything you need to know can be found in the Regional Heritage Fair Teachers’ Manual. The manual includes printable resources, such as:
- Classroom Resources, including lesson plans
- A Heritage Fair Timeline to use in your class
- Projects requirements and considerations
- Project topic ideas
- Information about project assessments
- Heritage fair tips from teachers
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Downloadable forms
Who Can Participate?
We accept students in all grades but only students in grades 4-10 are eligible for the Provincial Fair. Home-schoolers welcome. All participants will be required on:
- Friday, April 28 | 8:30am – 3:00pm
- Saturday, April 29 | 1:00 – 2:00pm
The Heritage Fair Process
This regional fair is actually step two! First, classes or schools need to host their own smaller scale fairs and select students to submit their projects to the museum. Finally, select students will be invited to the Provincial Heritage Fair.
Information for Students
- Choose a Canadian theme
- Create a project display (tri-fold board or digital)
- Include original written content
- Prepare an oral presentation
- Include primary source evidence
- Complete the Project Summary
Please consider the following when planning and creating these projects:
- Organization - Include a clear introduction and conclusion outlining the main themes.
- Individual Versus Group Projects - Both are welcome at the Regional Fair, however, only individual projects are eligible for the Provincial Fair.
- Creative Component - Make your project come alive with drawings, models, dioramas, written stories, skits, objects and videos.
- Technology - Students are encouraged to incorporate technological elements in their project displays.
At the Heritage Fair, a panel of judges are assembled from the community, which may include museum curators, retired teachers and other history enthusiasts. In pairs, they evaluate project displays, interview students about their research and nominate students for special awards. They will assess based on historical significance, evidence included, presentation and the interview.
How to Register
Teachers must pre-register. To do so, contact Tommy Cheung at Tommy.Cheung@surrey.ca or 604-592-7017.