Celebrate Surrey Youth Week 2021 with fun activities online and in your neighbourhood!
Date & Time
Tickets & Pricing
Youth Talent Showcase hosted by the Youth Events Squad
April 29 and May 6 at 7-8:30pm
Kick off BC Youth Week virtually with the Youth Events Squad! Youth ages 13-18 will showcase their talent while everyone is having fun.
- Youth ages 13-18 can submit a 30 second to 3 minute video of you showcasing your talent in art, music and sport by April 23.
- Email to email@example.com and make sure you complete the video release form as well. If you’re submitting your video with a link to your YouTube, please include “Submission for a Surrey Youth Talent Showcase on April 23, 2021” in your video description.
- Your video may be picked as a finalist by the Youth Events Squad to be displayed during the event and you could win a $50 Guildford Mall Gift Card for participating.
- Register to attend the event and celebrate youth talent in Surrey. All ages are welcome to watch!
Peer Mentorship Program Online Gallery
Preteens use visual art to raise awareness of the proper use of face masks
Surrey preteens took part in a Peer Mentorship Program to create a project to help the community. They decided to start an online gallery of visual art to raise awareness of the proper use and disposal of face masks. Local young people are invited to submit electronic images to be included in the gallery. Submissions will be accepted until April 30 and the gallery will go live on the Peer Mentorship Program page during Youth Week.
City Nature Challenge
April 30 to May 3
Join Surrey's iNaturalist community online and learn more about local plants and wildlife as you post observations. Help Surrey’s biodiversity get recognized!
Teen Book Club
Tuesday May 4 at 3:30-4:30pm
We’ll have thought provoking discussions about the full range of topics in Young Adult novels (quizzes and prizes too!). This online program is for teens ages 14 to 18.
Teen Pride Alliance
Tuesday May 4 at 3:30-4:30pm
If you're between 13-19 years and identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, two-spirit, ace, or an ally, this program is for you. Join us for games, crafts, movie nights, and discussions! Network with other Gender-Sexuality Alliances in the Surrey area. This will be a safe, positive, and friendly space.
SASSY Awards - "Service Above Self" Surrey Youth
Wednesday May 5 at 7-8pm
Be inspired by young leaders and entertained by local youth at the annual SASSY Awards Show. Join the Semiahmoo Rotary Club virtually to recognize, acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of youth who exemplify "Service Above Self" as awards are distributed in six categories: Arts & Culture Leadership, Community Service, Environmental Leadership, International Service, Overcoming Adversity, and Sports & Recreation Leadership.
Young Playwrights Lab
May 5 to June 9 at 4:30-5:30pm
Do you like to tell stories? Do you ever watch movies or see plays and wish you could create stories like the ones you see unfold? Learn the fundamentals of story, structure, and stage directions for the theatre in this online class for youth between 13-18 years. Explore your own creative interests with mentorship and instruction from a professional theatre artist, so that you can write wholly unique stories for the stage. Bonus: this class can culminate with a reading of writers’ works online for those students interested! The cost is $64.80 to participate.
Teen Motivational Workshop
Thursday May 6 at 10:30am-12pm
Find your passion in life. Teens between 12-18 years join Indigenous Artist Rain Pierre (sɬə́məxʷ) in this motivational workshop. Rain Pierre will talk about how young people can let go of what they "should" be doing and find the courage to follow their dreams.
Love Where You Live
April 22 to September 30
Show your love for Surrey and get involved in the Love Where You Live campaign! There are many ways to get involved and to help make Surrey beautiful and clean.
- Register for the 20-Minute Challenge volunteer opportunity to help take care of your community for 20 minutes a week and earn volunteer hours.
- Apply for a Small Project Grant to beautify your neighbourhood.
- Register your Neighbourhood Clean Up for a chance to win a Family Backyard BBQ Prizepack.
Art in Motion Video from Surrey Art Gallery
Wireframe Animation with Julia Song
Join artist Julia Song for this introduction to wireframe animation! Learn how to make a simple thunderbolt effect with digital animation software. See more of Song’s work in I Spy a City, an evolving artwork from Flavourcel collective on display at UrbanScreen until May 2.