Wireless Telecommunication Tower Permit
Apply for a permit to install or modify a wireless telecommunications tower or antenna.
You need a Wireless Telecommunication Tower or Antenna Permit in Surrey for:
- installing a new wireless telecommunication tower, antenna, and/or related facility; or
- modifying an existing wireless telecommunication tower, antenna, and/or related facility.
How to apply
Complete the Building Permit Application Form and submit the required documents, plans, and fees to the City of Surrey's Building Division by email, or in-person by appointment.
An appointment with a commercial plan reviewer is required to submit an application. To schedule an appointment contact:
Digital permit intakes
Planning & Development permits can be submitted by email to email@example.com. Before submitting your application, please review the Digital Submission Guideline. You will be contacted once we have reviewed your submission.
All permit application processes will remain the same, apart from receiving the physical document copies. Hard copies of permit application submissions may be necessary and requested depending on the scope of work and project size, upon completion of the digital submission.
Professionals you may need
A Registered Professional (RP) is required to provide a Schedule B to accompany signed and sealed drawings. A Coordinating Registered Professional is required to provide a Schedule A if there will be more than one RP.
Prior to submitting an application for a Building Permit, the applicant should contact Area Planning to confirm that a proposed telecommunication tower or antenna will comply with all City bylaws, plans, and policies. This pre-application consultation with Area Planning will expedite and streamline the Building Permit process.
To consult with Area Planning contact:
Lisa De Silva
Include the following documents with your Wireless Telecommunication Tower or Antenna Permit application:
- a Building Permit Application Form;
- an Owner Authorization Form (if the Applicant is not the Owner);
- a Schedule B to accompany each Registered Professional’s signed and sealed drawings;
- a Schedule A if there is more than one Registered Professional; and
- a Damage Deposit Form (if applicable).
Include the following plans with your Wireless Telecommunication Tower or Antenna Permit application:
- four (4) sets of plans:
- site plan;
- architectural floor plan and details if equipment is located within an existing or proposed building or structure;
- structural details of anchorage and/or foundation must be certified by a Registered Professional; and
- electrical details showing proposed connections must be certified by a Registered Professional.
Refer to the Wireless Telecommunication Tower Bulletin for drawing specifics.
The Building Permit fee is due at the time of application for your Wireless Telecommunication Tower or Antenna Permit.
After you apply
Every installation of a wireless telecommunication tower or antenna shall comply with the British Columbia Building Code, the City of Surrey Zoning Bylaw and any other by-law or regulation that may apply.
Every wireless telecommunication tower or antenna attached or mounted on an existing building or structure shall comply with the height limitation of the zone in which it will be located. A wireless telecommunication tower, including any ancillary equipment, shall meet the setback requirements of the applicable zone.
No sign or advertising message shall be affixed to a wireless telecommunication tower or antenna.