160 Street Widening: 26 Avenue to 32 Avenue
The City has plans to widen 160 Street between 26 Avenue and 32 Avenue.
Update: Project Timing and Location
Construction of this project started on April 6, 2020 and should be completed by August 31, 2020. A full road closure is in effect on a 24/7 basis until the end of August 31, 2020, from 28 Avenue to 32 Avenue, while maintaining driveway access to local traffic only.
160 Street opens to traffic from 26 Avenue to 28 Avenue on May 29, 2020. For the latest information about the road closure on the 160 Street, please refer to the City’s Road Closures and Obstructions webpage.
View full-size map.
The City has planned to upgrade 160 Street, between 26 Avenue and 32 Avenue. The road will be widened from a single lane road in each direction to a proper 4-lane, median-separated arterial standard with multi-modal facilities for pedestrians, cyclists and transit users.
The upgrades will include:
- additional traffic lanes
- new sidewalks
- new grade-separated cycle tracks
- improved bus stops
- intersection enhancements, including a new pedestrian crossing, and a new traffic signal at 30 Avenue/Mountain View Drive
- enhanced street and pedestrian lighting
- Willis Brook culvert crossing improvements for safe fish passage
What will this project achieve?
This project is part of a multi-phase widening and multi-modal infrastructure program investing in the city’s highest-growth neighbourhoods. It not only provides additional road capacity helping to relieve congestion, but also supports more trips made by sustainable travel modes by improving comfort and safety for people walking, cycling and taking transit in the Morgan Heights and Grandview Heights neighbourhoods.
The proposed designs for improvements were presented to the public for input at a drop-in style public information meeting in September 2018. View the presentation boards and drawings that highlight the proposed changes.
The meeting was well attended and we received comments and suggestions from area residents. Input was also received directly and through a public feedback form, which was open for comment though to October 9. Feedback has been reviewed by the project team, alternatives have been assessed and a summary of highlights follows:
Engagement Process and Documents
You spoke, we listened
We’ve been receiving input from neighbourhood residents: at the public meeting, through feedback forms and emails. Based on feedback, we updated the 160 Street design – mostly between 3100 Block to Canterbury Drive – and are presenting updates here.
- Read the October 19 Project Update emailed to interested participants following the comment period, which closed October 9, 2018.
- Check out the November 1 Project Design Update, which highlights the changes we’ve made as a result of our consultation with you and answers the top questions you’ve asked.
- View the Revised Concept Design showing proposed solutions to the left turn out restrictions along the 3100 Block of 160 Street.
Map of entire project
View full-size map
If you have any questions or wish to provide feedback, please contact Goran Corda, the City of Surrey’s Project Manager at 604-598-5853 or firstname.lastname@example.org.