Incentives & Rebates
Save money with these energy incentive programs.
Need help paying for your energy upgrades for a new or existing building?
The following programs are currently available to help offset the cost of improving the energy efficiency of your home. By combining these programs you could receive thousands of dollars in refunds. Add that to the potential savings in your annual energy bills, and your energy-efficient upgrades could be paid off in only a few years.
Centralized Incentive Resources
The following two websites provide access to incentives for both new and existing buildings.
- Better Homes BC is the province's online hub for homeowners and businesses to access information, incentives and support to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in new and existing homes and buildings. Visit the website to find more information on rebates for renovating homes and building a new home.
- Better Buildings BC is the province's online hub for businesses to access information, incentives and support to encourage energy efficient design, construction and renovation of commercial buildings. Visit the website to find more information on rebates for renovating commercial buildings and to find incentives for new commercial buildings.
Mid-Construction Airtightness Test Rebate
The City of Surrey, with funding support from BC Hydro, is offering a limited number of $400 rebates for building teams who voluntarily conduct a mid-construction (typically pre-drywall) blower door test on a Part 9 residential building and submit a one-page Mid-Construction Airtightness Report about the results to the City.
The purpose of these rebates is to help local building teams understand how to construct the airtight buildings required under the BC Energy Step Code.
Eligible projects must have had a Building Permit application submitted prior to April 1, 2019, at which time the mid-construction blower door test became mandatory. Building teams must hold a rebate coupon to receive the $400 reimbursement. There is a limit of one coupon per Building Permit application.
Rebates will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. The program will end when all funds have been dispersed, or at the end of 2021.
If you have passed your Sheathing Only Inspection, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your building permit number to determine your eligibility and receive a rebate coupon number. For more details, review the Mid-Construction Airtightness Test Rebate Program Summary.
FortisBC New Home Program
FortisBC is providing rebates for new energy efficient homes through its New Home Program. The rebates align with the BC Energy Step Code, including $500 toward the costs of an Energy Advisor and increasing rebates for building to higher Steps, up to $8,000 for a Step 5 home. Detached, attached, and laneway homes under four storeys all qualify for rebates.
CMHC Green Home Program
The Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) provides a 10% refund on your Mortage Loan Insurance premium if you buy an energy-efficient home or make energy-saving renovations.
So what is an energy efficient house and how much can you save?
- To qualify for the refund your home must meet a minimum EnerGuide rating of 82.
- Assuming a 5% down payment and $500,000 loan, your insurance refund would be just over $1,500.
Energy Conservation and Assistance Program
FortisBC and BC Hydro have partnered to help improve the comfort and efficiency of your home, free of charge. The Energy Conservation and Assistance Program (ECAP) provides income-qualified residential customers with a free home energy evaluation, energy-savings products and advice.
- Free personalized home energy evaluation
- Free installation of energy-savings products including: LED lightbulbs, kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators, water-efficient showerheads, hot water pipe wrap, exterior door weatherstripping
- Free energy-efficiency advice to help you create a more comfortable home
- Some homes may qualify for an ENERGY STAR certified refrigerator, insulation for attic or wall, and a high-efficiency natural gas furnace or furnace rebate
A free energy-savings kit can help you make your home more comfortable and energy-efficient. BC Hydro customers who live in an income-qualified household can request a free Energy-Savings Kit.
Each kit contains:
- LED light bulbs
- Weatherstripping to reduce drafts around windows and doors
- High efficiency showerhead
- Water-saving tap aerators
- LED night light
- Fridge and freezer thermometer
- Step-by-step instruction guide to help you install each product
Apply online for your free Energy-Savings Kit.
Rental Apartment Efficiency Program
In Surrey, more than 40% of rental apartment buildings are older than 35 years and may not be as energy efficiency as they could be. The City of Surrey is partnering with FortisBC and Landlord BC to help rental apartment building owners and property owners make a few simple changes to save money, energy, and water through FortisBC’s Rental Apartment Efficiency program.
Through the program, you'll get access to the following services:
- Installation of free water efficient showerheads and faucet aerators (valued at approximately $50 per unit).
- Free energy assessments (valued at up to $2,000).
- Free professional support with implementing additional efficiency upgrades (e.g. boilers; valued at several thousands of dollars) and applying for rebates for qualifying buildings.
Find out more about eligibility requirements and how you can improve your building's energy performance, lower your greenhouse gas emissions, and reduce operating costs on the FortisBC website.
Home Renovation Rebates
The Home Renovation Rebates offer is provided in partnership by BC Hydro Power Smart and FortisBC.
This program offers a wide variety of incentives to make it easier for you to reduce your energy bills and improve the comfort and health of your home.
- Insulation: up to $1,200
- Ductless Heat Pump: $800 (additional $400 rebate currently available on select products)
- Ventilation Fan
- Draftproofing: up to $500
- Natural gas hot water heaters
- EnerChoice fireplaces
- A $750 bonus offer for making three or more eligible upgrades
Borrowing money to pay for your energy upgrade? British Columbia financial institutions often offer unique opportunities to finance home energy investments.