Women in Firefighting Workshops
Learn what it takes to be a female firefighter with the Surrey Fire Service.
These workshops are resuming with COVID-19 restrictions in place to comply with public health orders and WorkSafe BC. Please cancel if you are experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms on the day of or prior to the workshop. You will be screened on arrival.
In an effort to attract a more diverse workforce in Fire Services, the City hosts one-day workshops to provide youth and female participants with an overview of the opportunities and culture of a fire service career.
These one-day workshops, often held between May and October, explain the various steps of the recruitment process and provide tips on how to be a successful candidate. Participants learn more about the physical skills required to be a firefighter and get the opportunity to test their abilities. Female fire service members will also be on site to answer any questions.
One-day workshops are available for female adults, age 19+.
Women’s adult workshops (19+) for 2021 will take place from May until December and will be dependent on COVID-19 restrictions. This year we offer 3 types of workshops designed to meet the varying levels of fire experience ranging from awareness to skill enhancement. All workshops will take place at the Surrey Fire Service Training Facility on 14915 64 Ave.
- Level 1 – This is a full day workshop providing an overview of the fire service with an opportunity to experience fire fighting activities and interact with career female firefighters.
- Level 2 – This half day workshop provides an opportunity to try the physical test required during the hiring process and gauge your level of readiness according to fitness level.
- Level 3 – This 2-hour workshop provides an opportunity to practice specific firefighting skills required as a suppression firefighter.
To view all workshop levels and dates offered, you must sign up on our MyImpact website.
- Access a calendar displaying available opportunities
- Read full descriptions of each workshop
- Learn about what you need to bring with you
- Learn how to submit payments and waivers