Learn about the City's Cultural Grants Program and how to apply.
The Cultural Grants Program supports a wide range of arts and cultural activity in Surrey, including artistic practices (music, dance, theatre, literary, visual, media, inter-disciplinary, community-based and Indigenous arts) and cultural celebrations and events that reflect Surrey's diverse heritage and community.
Is Your Organization Eligible?
If your organization meets the eligibility requirements, you can apply for a cultural grant. Review the Cultural Grants Guidelines to learn more about the grant categories and determine your eligibility.
You can also check out our Cultural Grants Toolkit for suggestions on applying for grants.
What’s New for 2022
New application deadline: September 30
- Expressions of Interest (EOIs) are no longer required for new or existing applicants to the program
- Cultural Celebration Grant replaces the Capacity Building Grant
- Increase in available operating funding to qualifying Operating Grants applicants
- Surrey Civic Theatres Rental-in-Kind Subsidy
Apply for a Grant
The grant submission deadline for a 2022 grant is September 30, 2021.
Download an application form:
Under this category, grants will be provided to encourage partnerships and collaborations that result in cultural programs and initiatives. The grant award may contribute:
- Up to fifty percent (50%) of the project budget on a matching basis.
- Matching funds can be a combination of cash and in-kind contributions, with in-kind volunteer hours limited to thirty percent (30%) of the overall project budget.
- Organizations can apply for up to $10,000 annually for upcoming projects. Grant funding from multiple years cannot be combined to produce a single project.
Cultural Celebration Grants
This grant replaces the Capacity Building Grant. Cultural celebrations are an important part of life in Surrey. These celebrations support diverse Surrey resident artists, and collectively provide cultural and artistic experiences in Surrey to a broad audience.
- Registered not-for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for up to $3,000 not to exceed 50% of eligible costs.
- Non-registered not-for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for up to $2,500 not to exceed 50% of eligible costs.
Operating grants aim to support and sustain the work of mature, registered not-for-profit arts and cultural organizations that deliver consistent, meaningful, and original local programming, demonstrate sustainable administrative practices and organizational structures, and play a leadership role in enriching and enlivening Surrey’s cultural landscape.
Under this category, Surrey resident organizations can be eligible for up to a maximum of $25,000.
Organizations must show that they employ and compensate professional staff (i.e. Executive Director and/or Artistic Director) whose role is to enable the organization to plan, develop, and ensure its ongoing resilience, and who pay artists fees meeting national standards (e.g. CARFAC, CAEA, IATSE, ACTRA, AFofM, etc.). and meet other qualifying criteria to be eligible for this full amount.
Surrey Civic Theatres Rental-in-Kind Subsidy Grant
This pilot project will have a total fund of $20,000 in 2022 to support approximately 10 organizations, many of whom may be new to presenting on Surrey Civic Theatres stages and would support a one-night performance of high presentation quality on one of the City’s professional theatre stages.
This funding opportunity will prioritize those cultural organizations:
- Who have not utilized the Surrey Civic Theatres stages for their performances ever, or in the past three years.
- Whose organization or artistic performances, or artists, would benefit from the experience of utilizing a professional theatre, to develop their art practice, build their audience, and qualify for support to continue their artistic work (i.e. qualify to submit grant applications to other funders, and to be competitive in a peer jury environment).
- Whose event is primarily presenting artists.
Applicants can indicate interest in accessing the subsidy on the application form when applying for either a Project Grant or Cultural Celebrations Grant. The subsidy will be awarded based on availability.
Previously Awarded Cultural Grants
- 2021 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2020 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2019 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2018 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2017 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2016 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2015 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2014 Cultural Grants Awarded
- 2013 Cultural Grants Awarded
For more information, email email@example.com.