Safety and Wellbeing For All
An integrated community safety and wellbeing strategy for our community.
In October 2023, Council, through the Public Safety Committee, endorsed a staff recommendation to develop an integrated strategy for community safety and wellbeing for Surrey.
In 2017 the City launched the Public Safety Strategy
This comprehensive framework for programs and services supported public safety across four key areas:
- Preventing and reducing crime
- Ensuring safe places
- Building community connections
- Supporting vulnerable people
The Public Safety Strategy has informed programming and the development of new initiatives such as the SAFE program.
The Integrated Community Safety and Wellbeing Strategy will build upon the City’s ongoing success
It will continue in the delivery of services and programs aimed at nurturing a sense of belonging and improving the physical and psychological safety of all residents in Surrey.
The City is starting a new community dialogue about evolving our approach to a broader focus on integrated community safety and wellbeing. Stay tuned as we launch community events and begin to gather feedback on the new integrated community safety and wellbeing strategy.
- Conduct jurisdictional scan across Canada
- Identify leading and emerging policy priorities
- Prepare background paper
- Launch a survey to collect community insights on safety and wellbeing priorities
- Facilitate sharing circles and other engagement events with diverse community members to gather community knowledge and insights that will inform the strategy
Reflecting & refining
- Present engagement findings with Public Safety and Social Equity and Liveability Committee(s) for review and input
- Develop a strategy and implementation framework for Committee endorsement
Finalizing the strategy
- Finalize strategy documents and design
- Present strategy to Council
Launch & implementation
- Deliver events and activities to launch strategy
- Facilitate implementation of strategy initiatives
- Develop reporting framework
- Present progress report to Public Safety Committee
Talia Ahmad, Senior Policy and Program Lead
Strategic Planning and Responses Division