Attending and Participating in Virtual Council Meetings
Watch a livestream of the next virtual Council meeting and learn how you can participate.
The Provincial Health Officer issues orders related to gatherings and events in the province of BC. As such, Council meetings will be held virtually and will also be live-streamed on our website. To participate in a Council meeting, please review the options below.
You may also wish to view this week's meeting agendas, Council meeting documents and Public Hearing items.
Public Hearings provide an opportunity for members of the public to voice support for or opposition to Public Hearing items before Council. For more information, please review the list of Public Hearing items to be considered at the next meeting.
You may attend or participate in a Council meeting in one of the following ways:
- Submit written comments to Council:
You can provide your submission by email to email@example.com or by mail to Mayor and Council, 13450 - 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC, V3T 1V8. The deadline to receive submissions is by 12:00 p.m. on the date of the Public Hearing.
- Register to speak to a Public Hearing item via telephone:
Registration will be open from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm on the date of Public Hearing. The submission form will only be available below during this time. Once you register, you will be sent an email with further instructions. Starting at 6:45 p.m., City staff will contact you to add you to the queue of speakers.
Please note the following instructions when you call in:
- Your comments must be relevant to the bylaw being considered at the Public Hearing. For more information, review the "Notice to Persons Speaking at the City of Surrey Regular Council – Public Hearing".
- You will have 5 minutes to speak
- Turn off all audio of the meeting. There is a 1-minute delay in the live stream so please listen to the cues given over the phone
- Do not put your phone on speaker phone
- Once you make your comments to Council, the call will end abruptly so that the next speaker can join the meeting.
- You will be put on a hold in a queue for the respective item, and you will be connected as soon as possible. If you hang up during this time, you will lose your place in the queue
If you miss this registration period, please watch the live meeting as there will be an opportunity for you to call in for a limited period of time. Agents, applicants and consultants should wait for this time to call in instead of registering to speak.
- If you do not wish to speak but would still like to convey your support or opposition to a Public Hearing item:
You may provide your submission in writing, as outlined above. Alternatively, you may phone 604-591-4132 to register your support or opposition. Registration will be open from 12:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. on the date of the Public Hearing.
When you call in, please be prepared to provide the following information:
- The Public Hearing item
- Your first and last name
- Whether you live in the City of Surrey, and if so, what neighbourhood
- Whether you are in support of or opposed to the item