Holiday Season Fire Safety Awareness
The Surrey Fire Service wants to remind everyone about the fire hazards that have the potential to cause home fires during the holiday season.
Surrey, BC – The Surrey Fire Service wants to remind everyone about the fire hazards that have the potential to cause home fires during the holiday season. Here are some safety tips on how to keep your home safe during the holidays and beyond.
Trees/Decorative Lights: Trees and decorative lights can pose a significant fire hazard. Real trees can dry out, making them highly flammable. Artificial trees, particularly those with built-in wiring, can overheat and cause electrical fires, especially if lights are old and damaged.
- Keep trees watered and away from heat sources like fireplaces and heaters.
- Don't overload outlets or extension cords, and inspect lights for damage before use.
Candles: Candles can be a fire hazard if left unattended or placed close to flammable objects.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets, and never leave them unattended.
- Place candles on stable, non-flammable surfaces away from curtains and decorations.
Cooking and Baking: Preparing holiday meals often includes increased use of stovetops, ovens, and kitchen appliances, which can lead to kitchen fires if not carefully managed.
- Never leave cooking unattended, even for a minute! Use timers as reminders to check your dishes when they’re done.
- Keep flammable items, like dish towels and oven mitts, away from heat sources.
Smoke Alarm Reminder: A working smoke alarm is one of the easiest, most cost-effective ways to protect your family in the event of a house fire. It increases your chances of surviving a house fire by 74%.
For more information about Surrey's HomeSafe Inspection programs, visit surrey.ca/HomeSafe.