Get tips to help you prepare for your next interview.
The interview stage is an opportunity for you to meet with us, discuss your qualifications and assess your fit with the City.
We encourage you to be yourself, and consider the tips on this page to help you prepare for your next interview.
Preparing for the Interview
Prior to an interview with us, we recommend that you:
- Review our website, and social media channels to learn more about who we are, what we do, and what our values are.
- Read the job posting and be prepared to show us how your knowledge, skills and abilities fit the position.
- Learn a bit about the interview panel who will be interviewing you.
- Prepare questions about the position that you'd like to ask the hiring team.
Preparing for Behavioural-based Questions
Many of our interview questions are behavioural-based ones. A great technique to use is the STAR approach.
- Situation or Task - Set the scene. Tell us about the situation and the task you were given. Give specifics of what was required, when it happened, where it happened, and who was involved.
- Action - What did you do? What skills, behaviours, or characteristics did you exemplify? Focus on your contributions and how you helped achieve results.
- Result – What was the outcome?
Bringing Notes to an Interview
You are allowed to bring notes to your interview, but we recommend that you don’t read directly from them.
Maintaining a Scent Minimal Zone
If you are coming in for an interview, please kindly refrain from wearing heavily scented products.