Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee
Members of the Surrey Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee provide Strategy guidance.
The mission of the Surrey Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee (SUILC) is to be the collective voice of the urban Indigenous population in Surrey.
The committee will advocate on behalf of all urban Indigenous people in Surrey, and work collaboratively to implement the Surrey Urban Indigenous Social Innovation Strategy. Learn more about the SUILC Terms of Reference.
Statement of Recognition and Respect
The Surrey Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee recognizes that our work in Surrey takes place on the traditional territories of the Semiahmoo, Katzie, Kwikwetlem, Kwantlen, Qayqayt, Musqueam and Tsawwassen First Nations.
It is a core value of the Committee to respect the political autonomy of the Coast Salish First Nations in Surrey. This means that the Committee will not represent those First Nation governments nor speak on their behalf.
All SUILC members are encouraged to maintain respectful relationships with the Coast Salish First Nations in Surrey.
The Surrey Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee is chaired by Samantha Jack and Dr. Lyn Daniels, Director of Instruction, Aboriginal Learning with Surrey Schools.
- City of Surrey
- Aboriginal Community Career Employment Services Society (ACCESS)
- Seven Sacred Fires Society
- First Nations Health Authority (Fraser Salish Region)
- Fraser Health Authority (Indigenous Health Team)
- Fraser Region Aboriginal Friendship Centre (FRAFCA)
- Fraser Valley Aboriginal Children and Family Services Society (Xyolhemeylh)
- Indigenous Wellness Training Society
- Kekinow Native Housing Society
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Métis Family Services
- Métis Nation of British Columbia
- Ministry of Children and Family Development Circle 5
- Simon Fraser University
- Surrey School District 36 (District Principal Aboriginal Education)
Land-based First Nation governments with a historic and current connection to territory that now includes the City of Surrey have a standing invitation to participate in any and all meetings of the Surrey Urban Indigenous Leadership Committee.