Land Use Contract Termination Date Appeals
Learn how to appeal the effective termination date of your Land Use Contract.
Under the authority of Section 548.2 of the Local Government Act, R.S.B.C. 2015, c.1, Land Use Contracts in the City of Surrey are being phased out over a two-year period.
The termination of the Land Use Contract becomes effective one year after the adoption date of the terminating Bylaw.
Section 543 of the Act permits the owner of the land being removed from the Land Use Contract to apply to the Board of Variance, within six months of the adoption date of the terminating Bylaw, if the timing of the termination will cause hardship.
If you are an affected owner and you wish to apply for a time extension with respect to the termination date of your Land Use Contract, please note the following information:
- Your application to the Board of Variance must be received no later than 6 calendar months after the adoption of the termination Bylaw affecting your property.
- You must pay the regular fee to apply to the Board of Variance.
- You do not have to have drawings or plans prepared as you are requesting a time extension.
- You must provide a Certificate of Title and a copy of your Land Use Contract with your completed application. Both are obtainable from the Land Title Office in New Westminster.
- You must provide information to support that you will suffer hardship if the termination date of the contract is not extended.
- The decision of the Board of Variance is not transferrable to new owners if the property is sold, or ownership changes.
- The Board cannot extend the termination date beyond June 30, 2024.
To apply, complete the Land Use Contract Termination Application Form.
Return your completed form to the City Clerk's Office, Floor 5E, Surrey City Hall, 13450 - 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC.
Learn more about Land Use Contract Terminations in Surrey.