See how the City of Surrey is working towards digital accessibility.
Our commitment to accessibility
The City of Surrey is committed to making our websites accessible to the widest possible audience.
By following the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, we are striving for WCAG 2.1 Level AA compliance.
Improvements we have made:
- Training staff members across all City departments on creating accessible content.
- Using a tool to improve content accessibility and track our progress.
- Manually testing content for compliance.
- Providing alternative text for all images.
- Checking that our graphics and text have accessible colour contrast.
- Offering Google Translate.
- Striving to include closed captioning in our videos.
- Editing content to ensure it's in plain language.
Plan for future improvements:
- Manual testing for keyboard-only navigation and screen reader compatibility.
- Remediating PDFs to make them accessible.
Portable Document Format (PDFs)
Some documents on this website are in PDF format. You need Adobe Acrobat to open these files. You can download Acrobat for free. Currently, our PDF documents are not accessible with screen reading software.
Minimum browser requirements
The following browser versions are recommended for the best user experience on our websites:
- Microsoft Edge
Increase the font size on a web browser
Zoom to increase font size
You can quickly zoom in to change the font size for your current browser window or tab. This method is a temporary solution, and font size may not be retained if you open another tab or window.
Here are instructions for doing this with different operating systems:
- Windows users: Press the CTRL and + keys to zoom in, and the CTRL and - keys to zoom out.
- MacOS users: Press the CMD and + keys to zoom in, and the CMD and - keys to zoom out.
Adjust browser font settings
You can adjust the font settings in your browser to always use a specific size. This method will be retained, and all browser windows and tabs will use this size.
Here are instructions for doing this with different browsers:
Note: Some websites will not display the desired font size even after adjusting browser font settings. Use the quick font size change solution to increase font size.
Increase the font size on a mobile device
Each iPhone or Android device has accessibility features that allow the display and font settings to be modified.
Surrey Libraries assistive technologies
Surrey Libraries also offers many assistive technologies to help residents access our websites, including:
- JAWS Screen Reading Software
- Kensington Expert Mouse
- DRAGON Naturally Speaking
- MAGic Screen Magnification Software
- Kurzweil 3000 Optical Character (OCR) Software
Surrey Libraries offers these services as part of their READ-Ability services.
For accessibility questions and assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org.