Geographic Information System (GIS)
Learn about what the Geographic Information System (GIS) team does at the City of Surrey.
Our team provides Geographic Information System (GIS) services to City staff and citizens in the most efficient and effective method possible. Visit Maps & COSMOS to access all of our services and products.
We can be reached at GIS@surrey.ca or 604-591-4146 from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
What We Do
- Create and maintain 85% of Corporate spatial data (property, infrastructure, etc.)
- Develop and maintain COSMOS - City Of Surrey Mapping Online System
- Various custom applications (see Web Maps below)
Custom Applications and Web Maps
Please see the web maps listed below to see some of our custom applications. All web maps are intuitive and easy to use. The City of Surrey develops web maps to provide more effective services and to reach out to the citizens in new ways.
- Bolivar Heights Community Association
- Doors Open
- Historical Image Viewer
- Low Cost Community Resources
- My Neighbourhood, My Future (MNMF)
- Traffic Cameras
- Transit Referendum
- Surrey Libraries
- Surrey Wi-Fi Locations
- Sustainability Dashboard
- Walking Routes
- 2016 Open Data Summit - Open Data for Democracy Award & Open Data Excellence Award
- 2012 ESRI Canada - Award of Excellence
- 2008 ESRI - Special Achievement in GIS
- 2006 ESRI Canada - Award of Excellence for Enterprise GIS
- 2000 ESRI Canada - Award for Innovation In the Field of GIS
GIS Articles and News
- 2008 SAFE Software Case Study: City of Surrey's Self-Service Data System
- 2007 ESRI Canada ArcNorth News Article
- 2003 ICIS Member Profile: City of Surrey
Conference Presentations by GIS
- Why We Focused On Spatial Data First
2012 BC Open Data Summit presentation by Sean Simpson, GIS Manager
- 2012 ESRI Vancouver User Conference presentation by Sean Simpson, GIS Manager
- Web Mapping Solutions: Is It Possible To Please Everyone?
2012 URISA BC Seminar 'Geospatial Technologies and Asset Management' presentation by Sean Simpson, GIS Manager