Find out what you need to operate a food truck business in Surrey.

Mobile food vendors (food trucks) are a popular attraction at special events and farmer’s markets in Surrey.

Operating a Food Truck in Surrey

Although the City went through a competition process to select vendors to work at City-approved locations, other vendors can operate a food truck at festivals and events held on city land. Operators must receive approval from the organizers of the event and meet the City's requirements to operate.


The following items are required to operate your food truck at festivals and events held on City land:

Permit to Operate from the Fraser Health Authority

If you only have a Vancouver Coastal Health Authority permit, you still need to apply for a temporary permit with Fraser Health.


If you have onsite employees, provide a clearance letter from WorkSafeBC confirming that your account is currently active and in good standing.

Fire Safety Inspection

The Surrey Fire Service must inspect your unit. The approval is good for the calendar year. Please contact Prevention at 604-543-6781 to schedule an appointment for inspection.

Alternatively, they will accept an approved inspection done by any municipality that is participating in the Greater Vancouver Fire Chiefs Association’s Multi-Jurisdictional Inspection Program. This approval must be for the current calendar year.

Email documentation to

Electrical Permit

An electrical permit is only required if you are using a portable generator that is not affixed to the truck and your generator is over 5000W.

Electrical equipment in your truck must display a mark or label from a certification agency accredited by the Standards Council of Canada or an approval label issued by Technical Safety BC. See the Approved Certification Marks bulletin for accepted approval marks or labels.

For additional information, contact the Electrical section at 604-591-4240.

Gas Approval Requirements

Review the Equipment Gas Requirements to ensure your food truck meets the Technical Safety BC's gas requirements.

Insurance Coverage

Insurance coverage in the amount of a minimum $5,000,000 is required. The policy must name the City of Surrey as an additional insured.

Surrey Business Licence

To apply for a Surrey Business Licence for your food truck, please visit the Bylaw & Licensing Department at City Hall, located at 13450 104 Avenue.

You will require a letter of authorization from Sukhi Bahia, Business Systems Coordinator ( or 604-501-5046) to present to the Bylaw & Licensing Department when applying for the licence. Before this letter can be issued, you must provide proof that all applicable requirements above are met.


For questions about Surrey's Food Truck Program, or for a list of City-approved food trucks, contact Sukhi Bahia at or 604-501-5046.